Chapter 6 - Laera

"Let me." Max said as he entered the room.

My instinct was to bolt right into Max's arms, but the look on Liam's face was murderous. He didn't move, didn't react, didn't say a word.

His silence was terrifying to me, and I didn't have any more energy for extreme emotions.

So, I didn't run, but I did walk towards Max. And when I'd finally reached the point where we were standing side by side, me facing the still open doorway with him faced in the opposite direction, the outside air against my face gave me courage to keep walking.

There was a man dressed in all black, but not in a suit like the men I'd seen around the house. His clothing was less formal but still stylish.

As my legs carried me towards him, he placed his fingers on his aviator shades and tipped them just slightly like he was tipping a hat. His black t-shirt was practically like a second skin on him, and his arms were almost the size of Max's.

But as I got closer to where he was standing, I noted that the physique meant to intimidate didn't translate over into the expression on his face. If anything, there was a warmth there that I desperately needed to see in all this sea of hostile unfamiliarity.

"Ms. Laeara, would you please?" I denoted a thick Spanish accent when he spoke. And I watched as he opened the rear door to the SUV and motioned for me to get inside.

Again, with that name.

But now I was getting used to the return of its use on me. I needed my head checked.

His familiarity in calling me by my real first name gave me pause briefly, but hearing it also gave me a little reassurance that this was an option worth considering.

And what was it with blacked-out SUVs today? And why couldn't I shake the feeling that accepting this ride would only cause me greater trouble later with Liam?

But as I accepted his assistance in stepping up into the vehicle, I told myself that a pregnant woman probably shouldn't walk all the way back into the city. Besides, the alternative was waiting on the front steps for a cab and the possibility of an irate Liam coming out to force me back inside.

No and nope.

This was the only sensible alternative at this point.

Once he'd closed the door, I sat waiting and wondering at what might be transpiring inside after I left.

Aviator guy was still standing outside of the vehicle and his face had taken on a stony appearance.

When several more minutes had passed, I reached into my purse to retrieve my cellphone. Perhaps I would need to make alternative arrangements after all.

But then I watched as a solemn Max appeared at the now closing front door and began to descend the steps towards the vehicle.

He headed straight for my door, so I fumbled but finally found the button to lower the window.

"Anton is going to take you back to your place." It was the simplest phrase, but my heart immediately started pumping faster upon hearing it.

"Max wait!" I called out to him as he started to turn his back towards me.

He stopped briefly and only partially turned in my direction and nodded for me to continue speaking.

"Thank you...for keeping your promise to me," I said. It was the only thing that I could think to say. And I wasn't even sure whether he'd heard me or not because he didn't exactly acknowledge me.