Chapter 19 | Leonard Cohen

"And she was just... she was acting really out of it." James shook his head, telling Remus the details of the other night, alone in the gardens. "I wouldn't tell you if I wasn't worried about her because it's personal. But I've spoken to her friends and for the past couple of days she's just been drinking consistently and worse."

"Worse?" Remus frowned.

"She's uh... well there's the drinking and apparently she's getting in a shit ton of trouble and... She's not sleeping and she's barely eating. She was telling me about how she sees herself as this monster. Called herself disgusting and pathetic. I'm worried about her. Everyone's worried about her."

"And you think she'll speak to me?"

"I don't know but it's worth trying. You know, maybe to at least get some sense into her?"

"And what if it doesn't? What if she's upset that I'm trying to act all boyfriend on her?"

"Remus, honestly, I don't think she'll see it like that. She's very clearly dealing with a lot right now and she probably just needs someone to talk to... I think she might need you to talk to."

Remus struggled throughout the day to find Violet, as she wasn't in her dorm and wasn't going to any of her classes.

But, he managed to find her late at night, at a secret Ravenclaw party which he had no idea how she got into, drinking half of her body weight.

He pushed past multiple people to get to her and when he finally did everything changed.

Because she was a 17-year-old girl at a party, sat with a bunch of people drinking, and he had only just noticed how alone she was.

For once, it wasn't like he could read her mind. For once, she didn't have any expression on her face. She was genuinely, and completely, emotionless.

He hadn't seen her like this since her dad died when they were 14, and he didn't think he'd ever see it again.

So now that she was finally in front of him, staring into nothingness and barely conscious, he couldn't help but feel a large sense of dread wash over him.

Because he knew that whenever she got into this state she was barely human. Acted barely human. Treated herself barely human.

"Violet?" He whispered. "Can we talk outside for a minute?"

Without even looking to check who it was, she took his hand and followed Remus outside.

Only when they were away from the loud music and drunken students, did she finally bother to look who she followed.

"Remus?" She frowned, the glare of the school lanterns burning her eyes. "Is that you?"

"Christ, Vi, did you think I was just some random person that you followed?" He laughed, only until she didn't respond. "Fucking hell- That's-... That's really dangerous Violet. I could've been anyone."

Hazily, she looked away for a moment. "What do you want?"

"I'm... worried."

"Worried? Worried about what? About me?" Violet laughed at his concern with a weird look in her eyes and that was enough to tell him that she was completely losing it.