Coming home

I'm Lynn Dutton. The youngest of the Dutton kids. I've been at college the past few years. I finally finished and I'm coming back to the ranch. I went to school to be a veterinarian. I cared about the ranch and everything. I grew up there. Riding horses, herding cattle, and my favorite part breaking horses.

I pulled my truck up to the house. Nothing has changed in the past few years. Dad put me through school and now it's time for me to repay him. It was late when I got home. I pulled a duffle out that had my a good portion of my clothes in it. I put my hat on and walked inside.

"You have your mothers hands," I heard Dad say to some one. I walked in and saw Jamie tending to dad. Jamie look up and saw me and smiled.

"Welcome home little sis," Jamie said pulling me in a hug. I returned the hug. Jamie and I didn't grow up together but he was always around when he came home. "Glad you're back."

"Lynn," Dad said to me. My dad, John Dutton, the scariest man on earth. He was the main reason no guy would dare to date me or mess with me when I was in school. "Happy to see you sweetheart." He pulled me into a hug.

"When do I start?" I asked getting to the point.

"Just like me," my Dad chuckled, "straight to the point. You start tomorrow." I smiled. I said good night to my dad and my brother and headed up to my room.

I opened the door to my room. Still the same. I chuckled a bit. I threw my bag down and my hat on my dresser. I put my pajamas on and fell asleep.

I woke up around 5am. I showered and put on long sleeve blue button up, blue jeans, my boots, black chaps, my hat, and my black jacket that had the yellow stone ranch symbol on the right side. I came downstairs to see gator working in the kitchen.

"Gator!" I said smiling.

"My god Lynn, you scared the shit out of me darling," gator said hugging me. "When did you get back?"

"Last night," I answered getting some coffee. I took some toast, "we'll catch up later, I need to see some horses." Gator nodded and I went outside.

I walked outside. Fresh air. I saw the ranch hands leaving the bunk house. I made my way to the barn. I walked down the stalls and saw her. Butterscotch. My own damn horse. It was a birthday present from my dad. I heard her neigh. "Hey girl," I said stroking her nose. "Miss me?" She neighed in response. She nuzzled my hand. I smiled.

"You know, she only lets Rip or you ride her," a voice said. I turned and saw Ryan. "Welcome back L." He pulled me into a hug.

"Glad to see Rip, Lee, or my dad haven't killed you yet," I said returning the hug. I went and got my saddle and everything I needed to ride her. "I'm coming with you boys today." Ryan smiled.

"I'm sure Rip will enjoy that." I rolled my eyes. "L..." he paused. "He doesn't know does he?" I gripped the back of my left shoulder. The brand.

I was branded a month before I left for school. It was a warning. It was protection. It was a promise. "It's not like he was the one who did it." I'm sure he heard the screams though. "It wasn't protection from him. It was from..."

"I get it L, I do. I should have-"

"No. My dad sent me away to protect me. It's not your fault." I finished getting Butterscotch ready. "I'll see you out there." I smacked his hat and hopped on my horse. I trotted out the barn.

Rip pov

I saw Lynn trot out of the barn with her horse. I saw Ryan there just smiling like an idiot. I walked up and slapped him upside the head. "Get back to work Ryan." I said walking to get stuff ready for my horse.