The end of summer

Ch 12

I was up early practicing my shooting. Dad taught us all how to shoot at a young age. When we were all about 7 or 8, dad would take us on our first hunting trip. I remember getting my first buck and my dad was proud.

"Nice shooting L," Ryan said.

"Years of practice," I said smirking. "Want to see who will have the best grouping?"

"Sure." Ryan went first and then I went. We checked our targets and I won. "Cheater." He smacked my arm.

"You just suck my friend." I smiled.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. Still have some nightmares but I'm getting over it." We walked and sat in the barn. Gator brought us coffee and breakfast.

"So how are things between you and Rip?" Ryan asked suddenly.

"How did you?"

"L, I've know you since kindergarten remember?" I smacked his hat.

"We are good. I've been sneaking off and sleeping with him in his cabin." I blushed thinking of him.

"Do you think your dad knows? I mean he bearly let you go to prom both years with me."

"Well firstly, my dad figured you weren't a threat. Also he knows your dad." Ryan smiled.

"Well yeah I'm also dashinly good lookin." I rolled my eyes at him. "Yeah your dad didn't really trust many guys back when we were kids."

"True. Most of the people we were afraid of my dad." I had several friends. But only a few of them were close. Ryan being my best friend was the only person my dad really trusted. My dad offered him a job after we graduated. His dad is retired now. "How is your dad?"

"Much better. He misses work but at the same time he's enjoying himself." I smiled. Ryan's dad and my dad go way back. As far as I know, his dad wasn't branded. "So Lynn, what happened to you?"

"What do you mean?" I was hoping he wasn't referring to what happened that night.

"L..I know something happened between you and Elton." I sighed.

"He tried to rape me. I bashed his head in with a rock and killed him. Then I heard things I wasn't supposed to hear." I paused.

"I knew that Elton was a creep. He would talk about you in disgusting ways. So was Frank."

"Frank isn't a problem anymore Ryan." He looked at me. "He tried to rape me too."

"L..what happened after Elton? You were never around. Lloyd told me that you left for school. When I said that you never applied he told me to shut it."

"My dad branded me." I pulled my shirt open to reveal my brand. "Jamie told me a few days later that I was going to school." Ryan frowned.

"I'm sorry L." He pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry. I should have told your dad about what those guys were saying. This could have never happen."

"Ryan stop!" I stood up and looked at him. "It's in the past. All I can do is move forward. My dad did this so I can be protected and more helpful." He looked at me. "You're my best friend Ryan. All I need you to do is be there for me and support me okay?"

"Yes Lynn."

"Come let's get going before rip yells that we are late." We took off to the other barn that we were building.

I saw my dad pull up. I ran over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Dad was impressed with the work that we did.

"We going to the rodeo in Livingston?" I asked walking up to my dad.