Let it come back

Ch 19

Work on the ranch was harder without Teeter. Lloyd and Walker were still both on edge around another.

We got the cows in the pen. I was picking up a straggler to the group. We were separating steers and heffers. Luckily it was quick. "I count 81 dad," I said putting my notepad away.

"I got 81 as well," Rip said.

"I count 81," Jake said riding up. My dad thanked him.

"How are the boys?" My dad asked.

"Sleeping it off," I answered. "Guess he's done sleeping." We saw Walker come out of the barn.

"Where you want me?" He asked.

"In the pen, start sorting heffers," Rip said. Walker nodded and walked off.

"Can I talk to you sir?" I heard teeter say.

"What she say?" My dad asked.

"She wants to talk to you dad," I answered.

"I can understand a damn word coming out of her mouth." We rode over to her. She hopped over the fence and sat on the top part.

"Sir, whatever's goin on between walker and Lloyd, it's got nothin to do with me," Teeter said. "Nothin to do with me at all. They are just blaming me for their excuse. I was the first one up in the morning and the last one done. Ask Lynn and Rip." She pointed at us. "Ask them if anyone worked harder than me."

"She's not lying dad," I said. Rip agreed with me.

"The fighting wasn't over you?" My dad asked Teeter

"No sir," she answered

"You just did your job?"

"Yes sir." I looked at my dad. I sighed mentally.

"Never fooled around with anyone in the bunkhouse?" I saw Teeter hesitating a bit. I knew her and Colby grew close. I also knew they both had a thing for each other. She answered my dad honestly. "Common sense tells you that shouldn't. Next fight will be over you."

"So this talk about this being my home forever means nothing?" Teeter asked. She pulled her shirt down to reveal her brand. "Fucking scared for life means nothing?"

My dad looked shocked. He looked at me and Rip. Guess he didn't know she was branded. "You wait over there a minute." Teeter did what she was told. "When the hell did that happen?" He asked Rip and I.

"The night we took care of that thing in the forest," I answered.

"Really? So they all wear it?" My dad asked.

"Yes sir," Rip said watching Teeter.

"Did it slip your minds to fucking mention it too?" My dad asked us.

"Well it was the night before you got hit, before we all got hit."

"Does Kayce know about this?"

"Yes dad, he knows," I said. I was trying to read his body language. I glanced at Teeter. She was running her hand through her hair watching us. My dad rode off to do something.

"Teeter," Rip said waving her over. She rushed over. "Where's your gear at?"

"Everything I own is in the back seat of my truck," she replied.

"Go on and get it. Put it back in the bunk house." I saw her smile.

"Thank you," she said giving Rip a hug. I saw him smile. I found myself smiling as well. I was happy she is back. "Sorry but thank you. Uh I don't know if you need help with shit."