A Family affair

Ch 8

"Even your walk is angry sweetheart," my dad said as I walked in. I sat down next to Beth and started to eat. I poured myself some coffee. Jamie and Kayce started to talk about how they are going to track the plane. I shook my head.

"You know, we aren't supposed to talk about work at the dinner table," said Beth. I agreed with her. 

"In the morning it's a breakfast table Beth, we can talk business at the breakfast table," dad said. I started to eat my pancakes.

"This isn't a breakfast table it's a dinning room table. Because it's in the dinning room. This isn't a breakfast table because it's not in the fucking kitchen. We don't even have one in there." I got up and left. I wasn't in the mood.

"Breakfast bar," I said as my dad walked in. Gator left.

"Why don't you just tell me what you want to talk about Lynn instead of just walking away. I rolled my eyes.

"Because as Beth said before you came in here you need to understand the subject matter." I sipped my coffee.

"I think I understand it honey. So what does he want me to say?"

"Why is Rip living in the bunk house and cleaning out horse stalls? He's a grown man."

"They all are grown men honey. The ranch Forman doesn't live in the bunk house. Kayce is ranch Forman. He gets the Forman's house."

"So why doesn't he get to sleep in a bed room in this house?"

"He doesn't want to stay here. Rip living in the bunk house is an obstacle you can over come Lynn."

"Don't make this about me. He looks at you like a father." I got up and walked towards him.

"I'm not his father honey. I'm Kayce's father. Rip isn't being punished. I'm making a shift, he's making a sacrifice. How that works out, how I reward that. Is how I see it settle. Hope that's enough for you." He walked to window in the kitchen and I walked to be next to him.

"That's always enough for me."

"Okay honey." He kissed the top of my head. "Now, go ruin someone else's day."

"That's the plan daddy." I walked out and headed to the barn. I thought about the first day I met Rip.

Flash back, 10 years ago

I was feeding my horse and cleaning out her pen outside. I saw daddy walk up with a guy who was maybe a few years older than me.

"Lynn," my dad called over "come here." I walked over. "Rip this is my youngest daughter Lynn." I shook his hand.

"Hello rip," I said smiling.

"Hello Lynn," he said. He looked like he's been through hell.

"After today Lynn, rip will be taking over a few of your chores. But cleaning Butterscotches pen and stall and feeding her will still be your responsibility." My dad said to me. They took off. Great another wrangler to look at me like I'm a snack. I rolled my eyes. I finished my chores and got ready for school.

"Let's go Kayce!" I yelled grabbing my lunch from Gator.

"I'm coming damn," he said walking into the kitchen. He grabbed his lunch and we got into one of the ranch trucks.

"What's got you in a pissy mood?" I asked once we were far enough away from the house.

"Nothing that doesn't concern you Lynn," he answered. I rolled my eyes.

"At least Lee has the decency to talk to me like we are a family."

"Just stop it Lynn." I shook my head. We finally reach the high school. I waved good bye to Kayce.