Some what normal

Ch 11

It's been a few days since what happened. Tate is doing better. I'm doing better. I was going to ride with Kayce and Rip to see if any of the clover took root. I loved being on my horse. I am a bit bummed that I'm not doing much vet work. I do stitch up the guys every now and then.

I rode along side Rip. "I don't see any clover here Rip," I said.

"Yeah but I'm worried about winter," he said.

"Me too." We met up with Kayce.

"I think we should wait till July to turn the cattle loose," Rip said

"We are running out of hay though," I said. "Feeding cattle all summer long is no way to run a ranch."

"We could do it like the old days, set up camp and baby sit them all summer," Rip said. It not a bad idea.

"Who are they?" Kayce asked. We turned to see a group of people in business suits. We rode up to them.

"Y'all lost?" Rip asked

"It's a possibility," one guy said coming forward. "Uh is this part of the paradise valley sporting club?"

"You're on the wrong side of the fence," Kayce said.

"Uh I told you," the guy said to the group behind him.

"You all staying at the sporting club?"

"No, they own it."

"Who is they?"

"Providence valley hospitality management. I'm Elis Steele. My firm is representing market equities."

"We don't know what that is."

"Well they mange resort properties and we watch out for their interests." I looked at Kayce. "This your land?" He gestured to the area with his hand. "Incredible. I dont I caught your names?"

"That's cause we didn't offer it," I said. Rip rode closer to the guy.

"Fair enough. I can understand you guys being wary of us city folk. I apologize. Why don't you guys come to the resort and have dinner on us? We are going to be neighbors so we better get along." Rip semi charged at the guy. I smirked and turned to ride away next to Kayce.

We rode up to the barn the guys were building. Rip told Lloyd he was running a spike camp this summer. I remember being with dad when he did those. We did one every year. Once I was around 14 or 15 he had me stop going with him. Mainly because of I was older and what not. I figured it was because he didn't want me to be around the hands. At that point I was staying home tending to my horse. I asked my dad once to why I couldn't go. He told me I'm getting too old and he was worried about the guys being a round me. I do have found memories of going every year.

Back at the house I was tending to my horse. I was brushing her coat. "Hey," Monica said walking up.

"Hey," I said looking at Monica.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm, okay."

"Tate said that you sang a prayer song. How do you know one?"

"Well, I learned about the Native Americans that live in the area. I took Native American history in college. I also had a friend in college. She took me to a ceremony as her guest. I was impressed with everything that I saw there." She smiled.

"I knew you were less crazy than Beth." I laughed. "So why did you name your horse Butterscotch?"

I looked at my horse. She was a tan American quarter horse with black on her legs and had a black mane and tail. "Well when I got her, she looked like a piece of butterscotch candy." Monica pet my horse.

"How did you convince your dad?"

"Well, Lloyd taught me how to play poker with the guys in the bunkhouse. I cleaned the guys out almost every week. I went to my dad and threw the money down. I told him to go buy it now. The next day we went to go pick out my horse."

"Lloyd taught you how to play poker?"

"Yeah. Lloyd was more of dad to me than my own dad at times."

"How did you get into the bunk house?"

"Sneaked in." She laughed and I smiled. She stayed with me for a bit and we talked.

The next day I helped the guys move the heard up. I saw Tates eyes light up when he was in the wagon with Lloyd. Rip and I went back to the ranch. I wish I could have stayed but this was Tates time.

I walked up to Rips cabin. I knocked on the door and he answered. He invited me in and we had dinner. It was nice. We spent the night together. We finally had time alone with each other given everything going on.

I woke up to the smell of Rip cooking. I took in the sight of him cooking, it made me smile. "Ever have fried bread?" He asked setting a plate down for me. "My mom used to make it for me." He handed me a coffee mug. "First you want to put down the bacon. The eggs go over the top. Hungry? Come sit." He brought the plate to the table and sat next to me.

"Never knew you could cook," I said.

"Never asked," he said smirking. I took a bite. It tasted great. He held my hand and smiled. "I'm happy you're eating solids. Im very happy that it was my cooking that you ate as your first solid food." I smiled. I finished eating and got dressed for the day.

We were going to be bringing supplies to the camp. "Cool if I ride with you?" Monica asked.

"If you fall Kayce will have my head," Jake asked.

"Monica wants to come with us," I said to rip.

"That's fine, Monica go get on Jake's horse." Rip said.

"But all that's left are monsters and freight trains." Jake said. I watched as jake got on horse that was semi broken in.

"Why aren't you on this beast Lynn?" Jake yelled after almost being bucked off again.

"Well you see jake I'm johns daughter and Kayces sister so.." I said holding in laughter. "Well at least that one will be broken in before we get back!"  We took off after him. Monica was asking questions about how I'm able to break them so fast.

We reached the camp. I helped unload the pack horse. I saw my dad. "Hey dad," I said standing next to him.

"Hey honey," he said smiling.

"I remember when you took us on these summer camping trips."

"I do too."

"Why did I have to stop going?" He looked at me.

"Well, you were getting older and some of the-"

"Frank? Elton?"

"Yeah." He looked at me. "Lynn, I'm sorry for everything that has happened to you. Mainly for sending you away. I should have kept you home."

"It's okay dad, I forgive you." My dad smiled.  He gave me a hug. Rip came up to us and thanked my dad. They talked about hiring more hands. It's not a bad idea. Rip and I headed back to the ranch with Lloyd in tow. The three of us were in charge of picking the ranch hands.

We saw girl with pink hair go and rope the cow. Rip called her over.

"What's your name?" Rip asked

"Teeter," she said

"Peter?" Lloyd asked

"Do I look like a Peter to you?" She gestured to her body. "You mother fucker." Lloyd laughed. "You," she pointed at me, "look like you have more sense then these dumb mother fucking guys." She paused. "It's TEETER."

"Teeter," i said. "I like your style. You're from south Texas aren't you?"

"Yes ma'am."

"I'm Lynn. Welcome to the Yellowstone." She tipped her hat at me and rode away. Once she was out of earshot I said, "I wonder how long it will take for her to realize I'm her boss?"  Lloyd and rip laughed.

Rip and I took a walk to one of pens. It's peaceful out. I saw him turn a few lights on and music started to play. He took my hand and we started to dance. He held me close and I took his scent in. He had a smile of pure happiness on his face. He kissed me. He pulled me close and we slow danced to the music.