Friends or foes

Ch 16

It was late at night. Rip, Lloyd, and myself went after a small group of the people who attacked us.

The following morning I was watching the news with Lloyd. The price of cattle is all over the place. Rip walked in asked where Walker was. Lloyd told in the Barrel racers trailer.

As we were getting the horses ready. I saw Carter trying to get my horse ready. "Hey hey!" I said coming up to him. He jumped.

"Sorry," he said, "I was trying give you a hand."

"If you saddle the horse wrong, it can hurt someone, okay?"

"Sorry." He said again.

"It's sorry ma'am," I said to him.

"Sorry ma'am or sir around here okay?" He nodded and walked away.

After coming up from working in the fields, we saw Travis and his crew. I was watching the horses. "Hey Travis can I slide one of those horses?" Ryan said.

"You can't afford to break this one," Travis said. We all laughed.

"What about me Travis?" I asked "you know I ride better than any of these guys."

"For you Lynn, yes but that guy next to him nah," Travis said. He got off the horse and let me get on. I took the horse down to the edge and started to go. I stopped. The horse slide a good 6 feet.

"Damn Travis!" I yelled. I took the horse back to him. "I love this horse."

"I knew you would," he said. I got off and gave him back the reins.

"Why does Lynn get to ride the 600k horse?" Ryan yelled.

"Because she's born to ride and she has talent." He said punching my arm. I jumped over the fence and was next to Ryan. "Where's gimpy at? Oh Jimmy?"

"He's getting packed, we are taking him to 6666s," Jake said. Mia had a scared look on her face.

"I've heard of that ranch, if I went to school in Texas, I would be visiting that place as much as I could," I said looking at Jake.

Beth walked over and told me that he was taking Carter to get some new clothes. She asked if I wanted anything while she was out. I requested some jeans and a few shirts. I handed her a few hundreds. I also asked if she could pick up me a few pints of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and few other items. She said sure and walked away.

Beth returned with my items and change. I thanked her and we went inside to have a drink.

I was sitting outside the house drinking some coffee. I saw Kayce walk out. "Everything okay?" I asked him.

"No," he began. " Monica  wants to leave. Tate is scared. I don't know what to do." He looked at me. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine Kayce. I sit in the fields and just look at the sky. The last time I passed out I swear I heard Lee's voice." I smiled slightly. "Honestly, I've been having nightmares. It's always the same one. I see everyone I love and care for get shot execution style while the ranch is on fire. After everyone is dead, I get shot last. But every time I wake up before the bullet hits me."

"How does Rip handle it?"

"I, I don't really tell him about the dreams. I just say it's a nightmare and he holds me closer to him. I'm sure he knows what it's about." He gave a half hearted hug. "Good night Kayce. Things will get better."

The next morning I went out for a ride. I saw dad and Kayce ride up. "Knew you would be here sweetheart," Dad said. "We have a lot to talk about."

Dad told us about who was the mastermind behind the people who attacked us. He wanted Kayce and me to go talk to Jaime. To see if we can arrange a meeting. Dad asked Kayce how Tate and Monica were. They were struggling. They feel safe there, I get it.