To the victor goes the spoils

Ch 21

It's been a few months since what has happened. My dad's campaign has really taken off. I was using it as a distraction from what happened.

I was watching Scott pull out of the race. It was a big win for dad. Beth and I hugged. We were happy. I got dad. It was time for his speech. Beth and I walked with him. Beth was trying to prep him. Jamie introduced dad to his supporters. Beth and I stood off to the side while dad gave his speech.

After dads speech he stood next to me. Senator perry gave her speech. My dad pulled Beth and I to the middle. We were happy.

I was laying in one of the fields. My mind drifted back to when it happened.

*A few months ago*

I was laying in bed. My guilt has taken ahold of everything. I couldn't get out of bed or eat anything. Rip was trying to get me to eat. I ate a bit. I tried everything he gave me to eat but I couldn't.

I didn't want to talk about it. All I wanted to do was sleep. I knew this was making him worry but I felt like it was my fault.

I heard a knock on the door. "Lynn?" It was Beth. She came in and sat on the edge of the bed.

"What do you want?" I said sitting up.

"To talk to you," she said. I rolled my eyes. " I know what you're going through." I looked at her. "You and I lost a child."

"I know Beth."

"It's not your fault that this happened L." I know that. "What Jamie did to me was rob me of having any kids. I know what's it like."

"I know but-"

"You're making Rip worry. No one has ever seen him like this. It's rather scary." I chuckled a bit.

"I feel ashamed Beth. He didn't even know I was pregnant!" I was crying all over again. Beth pulled me into a hug. She was trying to sooth me.

"It's going to be okay L." She looked at me. "You need to talk to him or fight it out somehow against a hand." I hugged her.

"Thank you Beth."

*End of flashback*

I felt the wind blow. I saw Carter bring my horse saddled to me. "Rips waiting for you," Carter said. I thanked him and got on. I took off to where the calves were.

I saw Beth, Jamie, and dad pull up. I gave my dad a hug. Beth motioned for me to go inside and change. I had on a nice dress on with matching flats to go with it. The dress wasn't really formal but it was decent enough for the party. Beth put my hair into nice bun. She made it so a few strains of my hair cupped my face.

I came downstairs. Rip was waiting for me. I felt like a high school kid walking downstairs seeing her date waiting for me. Rip was wearing a brown long sleeve shirt. It has the Yellowstone symbol on the left hand side. He still wore his regular black jacket.

We were enjoying the music on a grassy hill. It was like our own private area. I convinced him to go down and we started to dance with everyone. It was really nice. Teeter gave me a thumbs up. Lloyd tapped Rips shoulder to step in. Lloyd and I danced for a while. It was fun. I eventually got back to Rip.

A few weeks went by. Dad came by to visit. It was nice to actually see him. As I was walking dad to his car Jamie told us we needed to go to Billings. I was surprised.

We got to the hospital to find Tate waiting outside the room. I looked in and saw Kayce laying with Monica. "I would have had a brother," Tate said. I pulled him into a hug. He started to cry. "They named him John." Dad walked in the room. It hurt to see them all like this. I pulled Tate closer and sang to him. Beth took a sharpie from a nurse and wrote her name on her his cast.