Chapter One: Alice

"Happy birthday, Alice," Papa says sweetly as he hands her a wrapped parcel. "I know you're not one for gifts, but..."

"Thank you, Papa." She rises from the armchair and kisses his cheek. She sits back down and unwraps it. It's a journal, new and ready to be filled with thoughts, drawings, and musings. "It's beautiful. I've been meaning to start drawing again."

A faint smile tugs at his lips as he looks down at his daughter. Her chestnut hair falls gently and soft around her face and her strikingly blue eyes remind him of the ocean crashing against a rocky shore. "It would be good for you to slow down and enjoy the things you used to," Papa encourages. "You're always so busy."

"Someone has to take care of you," she smiles, a bittersweet expression on her face. "Ma would have wanted me to."

What little smile he has fades. He is still taking her passing pretty hard. This last winter was hard on the folk of Low Falls. With the bitter cold, comes illness, and with illness, comes death. Alice's mother, Sarah Ford, was one of them. It was a few months ago, but to the reverend, it was only yesterday. Alice has tried desperately to lift his spirits but to no avail.

"She would have also wanted you to marry Freddie."

Alice rises from her chair and gently brushes past him. "Now, Papa, don't start with that."

"Someone needs to; most of the town can see that you two were meant for each other."

"Well, they must be looking at different people because if they'd even glance in our direction, they'd see bickering and a botched proposal."

Papa pauses, mouth agape. "So, he did propose?"

She scoffs. "If you think saying, "Everyone thinks we should get married" is a proposal, then sure. He didn't even get down on one knee!" Alice enters the kitchen and prepares to fill the kettle with the pump. "I know I made the right decision. We are childhood friends. That's all."

"Good marriages always start as friendships, "he reasons, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I just don't want you to live life alone."

She turns around after setting the kettle on the wood stove. "I'm not going to end up some crazy cat lady, Papa. I just don't want to marry Frederick. There are plenty of women around here who would make a better match for him. And I am only twenty-two years old. I'm not a spinster, yet."

Papa only smiles. He has always loved her spirit. He only wishes a happy life for her, even if he can't have one himself. He removes his hand and she leaves to go to her room. She has some thoughts to put down on paper.

Her room is brightly lit with a large window, where a small writing desk rests. Setting aside a stack of papers she has yet to grade, she puts down her journal. She glances out the window and sees a bluebird. She smiles and carefully opens the window to hear its song.

As the sounds of nature fill her room, she sits down, opens her journal to the first blank page, and begins to write.

It is my birthday. I feel too old and too young at the same time. Papa gifted me this journal, which was very kind of him, as I have never been too fond of gifts. I do like to write and draw some, so I am grateful. Not to mention it is a release to be able to write my thoughts down. Some things have happened all at once.

I think Freddie is finally done with me. He's tired of waiting. He wants me to marry him, as most seem to think that is a reasonable request. However, most folk do not know that he never officially got down on one knee to even ask me. He just half expects to just agree to do it without even talking it through. But I wouldn't relent. I have only ever seen him as a friend.