Chapter Two: Learning and Loss

Alice drives the wagon under the shade of trees. The heat of July has no mercy on the townsfolk of Low Falls, and neither is the invisible enemy that is attacking them. Alice gets down from the wagon and unhitches Freedom to let him roam in the shade. She knows he won't wander too far. She turns toward the church and walks over.

    She enters and is greeted by the sounds of coughing and cries for water. She sees Dr. Tate rising to his feet, using a handkerchief to dab the sweat from his brow. He looks up and sees her.

    "Good morning, Alice."

    "Dr. Tate."

    "We have two new cases this morning."

    "I see that, but there's a bed empty."

    Dr. Tate gives her a saddened glance.

    "Who was it?" she asks.

    "Edna Poole Mason."

    Eliza looks down. "I thought she would make it."

    "She passed away last night. I have yet to tell her husband. He was coming to see her today."

    "My mother was good friends with her. Her two sons, I grew up with them."

    Dr. Tate nods. "Yes, I know. Their oldest boy Alexander has a family of his own now, too."

    "I just hope I don't see them here."

    "Neither do I."

    Alice spots a white medical apron and puts it on. "What would you have me do?"

    Dr. Tate looks around. "We need to be clean. Washing their linens. Clean towels. We need to continue sanitizing so it doesn't spread."

    "Alright."

    Dr. Tate gestures to the general assembly of sick friends and loved ones. "But first, help me to check on our patients."

    Alice nods, grabbing a small leather bag with medical tools and basic diagnostic aids. As she looks the equipment over, Dr. Tate comes beside her to clean his hands.

    "You know, I should be sending you home. You've been here every day since the quarantine."

    Alice sighs. "If I get sick and die, Doc, so be it. I'm not going to wait at home and do nothing." That, in addition to being at home, has been a struggle for Alice. Papa seems to only be getting worse and she is at a loss for what to do.

    Dr. Tate knows better than to argue with Alice Ford when her mind is made up. Her dedication and resolve have earned her an unspoken respect in town. She was one of the few they could count on to support the community, from educating their young ones to last-minute bake sales. And for Alice, it has always felt good to be needed. It helps to fill the emptiness that she has always felt deep inside.

    After an hour or two of checking in on patients, Alice has been using the laundry at the hotel to clean linens. Mr. Gibbs closed the hotel due to quarantine, anyway, and offered blankets and bedding to the cause of helping the doctor. It was a plus that it was close to the church, so Alice could easily get back and help.

    Coming back into the church with a large basket of clean towels, Alice sees Dr. Tate hard at work. He's administering quinine to a patient, who struggles to get it down. Dr. Tate sees Alice, and gestures for her to come quickly. She sets the basket down and hurries over.

    "Help me sit him up. He's got to drink this."

    Alice gets down on her knees behind the young man. Propping him up on his back, Dr. Tate works quickly to pour the quinine down his throat. The man sputters for a moment but swallows. Alice uses her apron to wipe his forehead.