Chapter Twenty: Already Home

October 1919–

My dear Jack,
It has been merely a week since I have returned to Low Falls, but it feels like an eternity. Not to say that my reunion with Jimmy and Randy has led to terrible days being dragged out, but it is the fact that you aren't here with us that prolongs the hours and minutes. We've been doing what we can. They miss you, and I am sure that I don't need to tell you that I miss you, too, but I will pen it anyway.

I miss you.
I miss you.
I miss you.

I've read the journal. And I have to say, that my daddy was a gifted writer and artist. It really helps to paint a picture of what he saw and went through. I have reread it at least three times. I cannot help but think that everytime I read it, I learn something new.

I have also come across the entries that your father wrote. I hope that you do not mind. He didn't write much but I have learned a little bit about him. And you.

I didn't have to tell Mrs. Leeland that the boys would be staying with us. She pulled me aside and told me that she couldn't take them from the place they've grown to love. It thrilled me and I didn't catch myself before I asked her if she thought that I was ever capable of being a mother. Do you know what she told me? "No one would ever think that they weren't yours." Can you imagine? If anything, it only puts my mind at ease. With you also by my side, I am not worried anymore.

Write to me soon, and tell me how you are. The boys would love to hear from you, so if you could send some words that I could read to them, I'd be grateful.

I love you.

Alice
***

While the boys are at school, I've been trying to prepare the house for Jack. Should he not come back before winter, he will need a warm place to sleep before we are married.

Even when we do get married, I am coming to realize that the house is too small. It was fine for three people, not four, and what about down the line? Randy and Jimmy could have younger siblings one day.

This is something that I need to talk to Jack about. I wrote to Jack asking how he has been, hopefully he'll decide on what he is going to do with the ranch. I would be fine with living in Beechers Hope, it just would be different. Everything I know is here, but it wouldn't be the first time that plans don't always turn out the way they were created.

I could see that Jack was torn about it.

I guess that is a common theme in my life. Being torn from things.

I keep thinking about my father and how things could have been different. He was a hurt man. Despite everything that he went through, and had done, his last actions were helping others. I don't know if I am even worthy of heaven myself, but it gives me comfort to know he finally was becoming the man my mama always known that he truly was. I really believe that.

Maybe one day, when all things are settled, I can see about meeting the people that were mentioned in his journal. Maybe some of them are still alive. Maybe Jack knows.

Maybe they could say something that might answer my remaining questions.

But I am not as anxious anymore. I am not as lost. I just think that there might be folks that need to know that I exist. That there is a piece of Arthur, and perhaps John, that's still alive. Something inside of me is telling me it will matter someday.
***