Chapter Twenty-One: We Are One

The day was set. And after making the announcement in church, inviting all to attend, Alice has begun to take the time in the evenings to make little decorations for the event. Since flowers really aren't in season in November, and the nearest florist is all the way in Jardin City, Alice has been making artificial flowers by folding large fabrics and ribbons.

The weather is getting colder, and though he hasn't said anything, Alice knows that Jack is getting uncomfortable in the barn loft. Having Wildflower up there in the evenings helps, but he would much prefer the warm body of his fiancée than a furry companion.

The evening is waning, and Jack begins to feel the dread of retiring for the night. He looks over his book and sees Alice hard at work, making the fabric flowers.

"Those are coming along nicely," he speaks into the silence.

Not moving her head, she looks up into his eyes and smiles softly. "Thank you. Some of the other women in church are also helping."

"Are you worried you'll make too many?"

Alice rolls her shoulders, not taking her eyes off of her project. "This is all we are doing. We're keeping it simple, remember?"

"Simple. Right."

Alice glances up at him, arching an eyebrow and taking on a sarcastic tone. "What, do you want a grandiose wedding?"

"No. I just think that weddings are...interesting."

"You've been to other weddings before?"

"Just one. My parents' wedding."

"Oh, I thought you had been to more than that."

Jack shakes his head. "No."

"What was it like?"

"Simple," Jack chortles.

"And interesting?"

"Yeah."

Alice looks down at her flower she just finished and bites her lower lip. A thought has just come to her and after a second or two, she decides to pose her thoughts as a question. "Jack dear?"

"Hmm?"

"If you could invite anyone to the wedding, who would it be?"

"Living or dead?" And of course, he responds in good ol' Jack Marston fashion.

Alice snorts. "I guess living. I already know who you'd want that is gone."

"You mean my parents?" Alice nods. "I'd also add Hosea and Miss Grimshaw to that list...and Uncle, but I guess we should only be talking about the people who are alive."

Alice nods retrospectively. "I read about them in my father's journal. I'd like them there, too."
They are quiet for a minute.

"I am sorry you didn't have your parents while growing up, Alice. I mean your real parents."

"I am, too. I think about it a lot."

Jack decides he is finished reading for the evening and closes Robin Hood. "You know, Arthur, your father, he taught me how to fish."

The light dances behind her eyes. "Did he?"

"Yeah, he told me he had taught a boy how to fish long before I was born. It could have been your brother."

Alice sits back in her chair and ponders on his words a moment, she glances upward and a small smile appears on her face. "I'd like to think that."

"Arthur always made comments to my Pa when he didn't want to be a father. It makes me believe that if your father knew you were alive, he would have done something about it."