Chapter Eleven: Into the Darkness

"That'll be a dollar and thirty-eight cents," Nancy Stiles says plainly after putting the tin of baking powder in the paper bag.

Alice retrieves her little purse and pulls out the exact change. She sets it on the counter before Nancy. They make eye contact and Nancy smiles in a friendly manner–a contrast to what Alice has been receiving. "There you are, Nancy."

Jack comes forward behind Alice and begins to grab the paper bag with the purchased items inside. Jack nods to Nancy.

"Have a good day, Ms. Morgan."

"Thank you, and you as well." Alice turns around to leave and Jack follows behind. As Alice nears the door, she hears a loud commotion. Looking out the glass windows, she sees people walking quickly down the street.

Jack's head follows the crowd. "What's going on?"

Alice shakes her head. "I don't know..."

Jack steps ahead of Alice and opens the door for her, using a free hand. They step outside and looking into the distance, they see a gathering up by the school. Alice gently touches Jack's firm arm.

"Let's go see what's going on." She doesn't wait for Jack to reply and she quickly makes her way down the steps. Jack, feeling standoffish, goes to place the paper bag in the back of the wagon, which is nearby. Once he sets it down, he catches up with Alice and tags behind.

Alice hears a woman crying as she approaches the gathering. She sees the sheriff trying to console the crying woman, who she immediately recognizes as Mrs. Woods.

"Now, don't worry. Mrs. Woods, I'm sure Hannah will turn up soon enough, you know how kids are these days."

Hannah? Is Hannah missing? Alice thinks to herself.

Mrs. Woods shakes her head adamantly. "But she hasn't returned from school! My husband and I have been looking all night for her. We thought she was out playing with a friend. I didn't mind her being out late, being the last day of school, you know..." The sheriff nods his head, processing this information.

The guilt and regret on Mrs. Woods' face breaks Alice's heart. Hannah is a sweet, obedient girl. She wouldn't go do anything without letting her parents know. Alice turns to look over her shoulder and she sees Jack. He has a dark expression on his face. An intense wolf-like gaze.

"Jack," she whispers. "What's wrong?"

His eyes glance quickly into hers, then back into the crowd. He doesn't answer.

Alice gently pushes her way through the crowd. "Sheriff!" All eyes turn to her and she feels the unfriendly stares from some of the townspeople. But she presses on. "Sheriff, Hannah would usually leave right after school to play with her friend, Amy. Has anyone spoken to her?"

"Ms. Ford, erm, Morgan," Mrs. Woods begins, wiping tears from her eyes. "We talked to Amy and her parents. She said that she last saw Hannah when they said their goodbyes at school. Hannah told Amy that she was going to stay behind to help the teacher clean the blackboards."

"So, where is Mrs. Hood?"

"We've already looked into it," the sheriff barked. "She had left to go see family on holiday. Nobody in town has seen her."

It is then that Jack comes forward. Alice watches the glares as he moves between them.

"Do any of you find it strange that two well-known individuals in this community have gone missing?"

The sheriff glares at Jack. "What're you saying?"

"You know what I am saying. Hannah was kidnapped."