Chapter Ten: The Stray

February 1919–

The town is trying other precautions to help prevent the spread of influenza. People are encouraged to walk as often as possible or ride or drive alone. We are constantly reminded of personal hygiene and to eat healthily. But that doesn't account for people and their propensity to error.

I have read that Illinois passed a bill to create a one-year course to become a practical nurse. I just find that interesting, after all the trouble...

At least winter will be over soon. The warmer weather will encourage folks to go outside and get some sunshine.

It's getting too quiet in the house. Playing the fiddle brings me comfort.

I haven't heard any news about Freddie. He has gone missing in action. I pray he isn't dead.

I pray he isn't dead.

***

March 1919–

    I've been busy. Helping Doc Tate with the sick. We are in another wave. It is what it is. I barely have time to get my garden going. I was looking forward to working outdoors but it seems that we can't find any reprieve.

    I guess it keeps me busy–my thoughts can't run wild into dark memories or worries. About Freddie. The orphans. Papa–all of the things and how so much could change in such little time. I wish that I could travel in time and see the things that I otherwise could not have seen.

    Outside things are quiet, but inside–things are as loud as the gunshots and the men's screams. I want to help Dr. Tate, and I need the income, but I struggle to be in there with the sick.

    I don't know what it is, or if it's all in my head. I need to get over this.

***

    Alice steps down the mercantile steps after purchasing some seeds for her garden. After finally getting some reprieve, she still has the rest of April to get some gardening started. She is eager to get her hands dirty and be outside for a while and she hopes that she won't have to help tend to the sick for a while.

    "Oh, Ms. Morgan."

    Alice looks up and sees Mrs. Elwood, Freddie's mother.

    "Hello, Mrs. Elwood. Have you heard...?"

    She shakes her head and tries to put on a cheerful face. "How are you doing?"

    Alice readjusts the crate in her hands. "I am doing well, all things considered. Dr. Tate is hoping that the worst of the influenza is over. Hopefully, soon you can resume school normally again."

    "Oh, Alice, I don't teach anymore."

    Alice's eyebrows furrow. "You don't?"

    "Didn't you know? We have since found a new teacher. A Mrs. Hood."

    This was definitely news to Alice. She has been back since December, and no one has cared to tell her this? "Where is she from?"

    "I'm not sure. But shortly after Freddie left, it was hard to find some help on the farm. After a while of trying to balance everything, I had to quit teaching and it wasn't long after the position was posted that we received her offer and credentials. She has been teaching ever since. The board seems to like her and the children get on with her quite well."

    Alice nods. "I see."

    "Were you...were you hoping to teach again?"

    Alice didn't want to admit it, but she had thought about it. It feels strange for her to not go back, but she supposes it is better this way. She can stay with Dr. Tate and work on the homestead until she finds something different and more calming. Teaching is a whole other type of stress. Though she loved it, she may not be a fit for it anymore.