Chapter Eight: To Have a Name

We are getting some more soldiers. We are the closest place of refuge until they can be taken elsewhere. There are so many, so many that we had to use one of the rooms we use for the children. We have always tried to keep the two separate, but it will be more challenging.

Honestly, I think that the children could help in some way--at least for what they could handle.

The soldiers who are being sent home could be prepared by being around innocent children. They are used to something violent and traumatic, they could stand for someone "gentil."

I will speak to Father Dorkins.

***

It has been months since Alice has been to the courtyard. She is happy to see Father Dorkins sitting down at the fountain. He looks occupied in thought, but she decides to take a step forward.

"Bonjour," she greets.

He looks up and sees Alice, thin and tired, but he is happy to see her. "Good morning," he replies, being sure to include a smile.

"I want to speak to you about an idea I had for the children."

"Of course, Alice," he says, gesturing towards the fountain. "Do sit down. What's on your mind?"

Alice sits herself down next to Father Dorkins. "Well, these soldiers, that are going home, have been away for some time. They have been greatly affected by the war and some, I fear, may struggle with the adjustment. It wouldn't be right. They need something gentle, something like children. These children are starving for affection and I think that the interaction would do them both good."

Father Dorkins runs a hand over his beard. "Well, I do not know. Do you think that this would be more traumatic for the children to see them?"

"Some have seen worse."

He leans back and takes a pensive look at her. He feels sympathy for her. "You are quite passionate about this, aren't you?"

Alice nods. "Yes, I am. These children need a chance to...to...."

"Find a home?" he inserts.

"Yes."

Father Dorkins exhales before responding. "You have been so burdened, Alice."

"I have been, and I am."

Father Dorkins leans forward. "Please, what is it?"

Alice plays with her fingers as she deliberates over his question. If she tells him, she is worried that she will come undone. The walls that she built over the last two years have protected her, but she knows they have also done their own damage. Perhaps, it is time.

"...I, too, am an orphan. Well, I didn't know what I was, up until recently. My mother--was murdered, along with my brother, when I was barely a month old. He...he saved my life."

"And your father?"

"I don't know. I have my mother's journal, but she doesn't list his name. He--he was a wanted man. He ran with a gang, the last she knew. I only have a drawing that he did...and the initials N.M, A.M, or something. It's smudged some."

"Do you know anything else?"

"Well, my mama said that he got a scar on his chin--from a knife fight."

He nods his head and looks off, thinking about how he wishes he could help her in some way. He turns back to look at her and as he looks at her sad eyes and expression, a flashback floods his mind.

The downtrodden face of the man who helped him long ago.

He pictures his face. The sad blue eyes. The scar. The scar on his chin.