CHAPTER SIX: El and Kate are our names.

"I see them

"I see them." El broke the silence. "What are they doing?" Kate asked. "Eating." She replied, simply. "They say we are species." El said. "What?" Max raised her brows. "Emotion, not logic." Kate scoffed. "What?"

El took the blindfold off and started laughing. "What happened? What... What? What happened?" El kept laughing until they heard the door open. "Hey! Hey! When I say three inches, three..."

"Do you knock? Jeez!" Max exclaimed. "Yeah! Jeez!" El repeated. "Oh, hey. I'm sorry. I thought that, uh..." Kate nodded. "Mike's not here. Can Max sleep here again?" Hop nodded. Let's just say, she was there almost everyday. "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Your parents know about it?"

"Yup." She nodded. "Uh, yeah, it's cool. Yeah. That's... That's really cool." He looked down. "Did you need something?" Max furrowed her brows. "No, no. Uh, I'll leave. I'll just let you... I'll leave you..."

"Holy shit, I can't believe we're really doing this. Ready?" Max said as El spun the bottle. "Mr. Wheeler. Ugh. Boring." Max said. "Yeah, boring." El repeated. "Spin again." Kate encouraged her. "Against the rules?" She looked at Max. "We make our own rules."

She spun again. "Billy. Okay, look, I should just warn you, if he's with a girl or doing something gross, just get out of there right away before you're scarred for life." Max explained. "Max..." El tried to stop her. "No, I'm just saying, I'm serious. He's really gross." She continued. "Max!"

"Okay, shutting up now." El tied the blindfold and stayed silent for a moment. "I found him." She said. "What's he doing?" Max asked. "I don't know. He's... on the floor... Talking to someone." She took the blindfold off and looked traumatized. "What is it? What happened?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's gonna start pouring soon. We should be at the mall or, like, watching a movie or something." Max complained. "You don't believe me?" El frowned. "I believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally, but you said Mike has sensed you in there before, right? So maybe it was just like that. Maybe Billy just... sensed you somehow."

"But the screams." El shook her head. "Yeah, I know, but here's the thing. When Billy is alone with a girl," Kate's eyes widened. "Max!" Max shrugged. "they make, like, really crazy noises." She continued. "They scream?" El raised her brows. 

"Yeah, but, like... happy screams." Kate shook her head. "Max, I don't think it's  time for THE talk." Kate shrugged. "Happy screams? What is happy screams?" She furrowed her brows. "It's like... I'm just gonna lend you my mom's Cosmo."

"His car's not here." Kate noticed. "You really want to do this? Why do I get the feeling we're gonna find all kinds of wrong in here?" And with that, they entered the house and Billy's room. "Ugh! Gag me with a spoon." She said as she opened a drawer. "Nice." Kate admitted and Max glared at her. "Don't worry, you're the prettiest."

"Max? Kate?" El called out from the bathroom. "Ice. It's just ice. Probably for his muscles or something. He works out like a maniac." El walked over to a cabinet. "El, what is it?" The girl turned to face them and show them a whistle covered in blood and a fanny pack. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me." Max rang the bell. "No one in the water until 30 minutes after the last strike. And don't try and argue with me. You wanna get electrocuted, go climb a tree." The boy told them. "Yeah, we don't care. We're not here to swim." Max said. "Or get electrocuted." Kate added. "We found this. Does that belong to anybody?"

"Oh, yeah. That's Heather's. I'll get it back to her." He nodded. "We could give it back to her." Kate suggested. "You could. 'Cept she's not here. Bailed on me today. What is this? You girls want a reward or somethin'?"

"No. We're just... Good Samaritans." Max said as they started to walk away. "Heather." Kate pointed at a picture. "Do you think one of you can find her?" They looked at each other and nodded.

They decided that El will look for her. "What do you see?" Max asked as they already prepared everything and El started to look for Heather. "A door. A red door." She stayed silent for a moment until she took the blindfold off. "What happened? El!" Both girls panicked. 

After that, they decided to go to Heather's house. "Is this it?" Max asked. "This is her house." Kate stated. "What?" Max furrowed her brows. "Heather's house." El confirmed. Kate nodded her head as the door flung open and they entered. 

They walked in the dining room and saw Billy with two people. "Max." He looked at her. "We didn't mean to... barge in. We tried to knock, but... maybe you didn't hear us over the storm." She apologized. "I'm sorry, who is this dripping all over my living room right now?" The man asked. 

"I'm sorry. Janet, Tom, this... is my sister, Maxine." He chuckled as he pointed at Max. "What on earth are you doing here? Is something wrong?" He continued and Kate knew something was wrong. "We just wanted to make sure everything was okay."

"Okay? Why wouldn't it be okay?" Billy asked and Kate thought that it's been too long and she needs answers. "Where is she?" She asked. "I'm sorry. Where is who?" He turned to Kate. "Well, they're a little burnt, I'm sorry..."

"Heather! This is my sister, Maxine. And, I'm sorry, I did not quite catch your names." He turned to the two girls. "El." "Kate." They replied. "El and Kate.  Now, what is it you were saying, Kate You were looking for somebody?"

"I... I saw..." El started.  "Your manager. At the pool. He said you guys didn't come in to work today, so we got worried." Max cut her off. "Heather wasn't feeling so hot today, so we thought we'd take the day off tto nurse her back to health. But you're feeling just fine right now, aren't you, Heather?"

"I'm feeling so much better. Do you girls want a cookie? They're fresh out of the oven." The girls shook their heads and Billy walked them out. They jumped on their bikes and Kate felt eyes on her. When she turned around she saw Billy watching her, so she quickly left.