CHAPTER EIGHT: skittles.

"I found him

"I found him." Kate announced. Since El was still drained from what happened before, Kate was using her powers now. "Where is he?" Mike asked her. "Woods." Kate replied. "Woods?" Kate kept watching them. "He's with... Will's mom." "My... My mom?"

"What are they doing?" Someone asked her. "They're going to Ill-annoy." She repeated what she heard. "Illinois? Illinois, like the state? The state of Illinois?" Mike asked her. "I think so, yeah." She got out of the void and Max took her to the bathroom and El went with them. 

"Does it still hurt?" Max asked El as she was wiping blood from under Kate's nose. "Only when I talk." She said as she touched the bruise. "Well, it's a good thing you're not Mike, then. "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." And you'd be in constant pain." The girls laughed, until they heard Mike talking about their break up and how it was just a break.

"It wasn't! You guys do realize we can still hear everything you're saying, right?" The girls laughed, but walked back when they heard Nancy and Jonathan. "It was the same thing, the exact same thing that happened to Will last year. And look at this. Look at the body temperatures." Nancy began explaining. 

"He likes it cold." Will realized. "Okay, so this crazy old woman who was eating fertilizer..." Mike spoke up. "Mrs. Driscoll." Nancy cut her brother off. "Right, yeah, Mrs. Driscoll. What time was this attack?" He asked her. "Last night."

"Right, but what time last night?" Mike specified. "Around 9:00." Nancy shrugged. "You waited all night to call?" Jonathan looked at her in disbelief. "I was waiting for the doctors to run some tests." Nancy shrugged again. "You weren't there?" Will looked at his brother.

"Well, I'm here now, aren't I?" He exclaimed. "Hallelujah!" Nancy said and Kate turned to Max. "Ooh." "Um, so, wha... what time was your...sauna test?" Nancy asked them. "Around 9:00." They agreed. "Well, that proves it. That proves my theory. She's flayed, just like Billy."

"Flayed?" Jonathan raised his brows. "The Mind Flayer. He flays people. Takes over their mind. Once they do that, they basically become him. If there are two flayed..."  "We have to assume there are more." El looked at Kate. "Heather. Billy was doing something to her. She was scared. She was screaming. Bad screams."
"What's a good scream?" Lucas asked. "Max said..." Max's eyes widened and Kate's did too. "Doesn't matter." Kate cut the girl off. "I'm sorry, I'm lost. Who is Heather?" Nancy asked. "She's a lifeguard at the pool." Kate said and Max nodded. "Heather Holloway?" They nodded. "Tom."

Nancy decided to visit Heather's house again, so they walked to her car. Nancy and Jonathan in the front. Kate, Max and El in the middle and the boys in the back. "Seat belts." Nancy said and they did so. 

When they got there Nancy tried to knock, but when no one answered, they looked at Kate and El. El flung the door and they entered. "Tom? Heather?" Nancy called out. "Jesus, it's freezing." Max said and Kate grabbed her hand, interlocking their fingers. "Do you guys smell that?"

"Oh, God. More chemicals. You think they're guzzling this shit?" "Yeah, either that or they just went on a hell of a cleaning spree." Kate nodded along. "But last year, Will didn't eat chemicals. Did you?" Max asked him. "No. This is something new."
"Mr. Clarke, fifth grade. Posit. What happens when you mix chemicals together?" Mike asked the boys. "You create a new substance." Lucas answered. "What if they're making something?" Mike asked. "In themselves? I mean, come on, if you drink this crap, it'll kill you."
"Yeah, if you're human." Kate said. "Blood. Yesterday, Tom had a bandage on his forehead. He was attacked." Nancy picked up a wine bottle. "They must have tied them. They must have taken them somewhere."
"Mrs. Driscoll. She kept saying... "I have to go back." What if the flaying, it's taking place somewhere else? There must be a place where all this started, right? A source." Nancy explained. "Somewhere he didn't want me to see." 

"If we can find the source, then maybe we can stop him. Or at least stop it from spreading or doing whatever the hell he's doing with those chemicals." "How do we find it?"

"Mrs. Driscoll. If she wants to go back so badly, why don't we let her?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Will's genius idea, they got to the hospital, to see Mrs. Driscoll. "See, you're the only one who gon' tell... Whoa, whoa, whoa! Excuse me! Where do you think you're going?" The woman called out for them. "Oh, um... I was just going to visit my grandma again. And... And this... this is my family."

"Extended." Lucas smiled as the woman's eyes fell on him. "I don't care who they are. You know the rules. Two visitors at a time. Yeah, but... Two! Girl, this child has lost her mind. She brought a whole zoo with her." And with that Nancy and Jonathan left. 

The kids stayed in the waiting room, Max, El and Kate reading magazines. Mike and Lucas walked over to the vending machine and bought some candies. When Kate looked up, she saw El nod her head and a lot of candy fell out. "I'll be right back." She told Max and she nodded. She took some skittles and walked back. She showed Max the skittles and she grinned. 

Max thought it would be fun if Kate threw the skittles and Max would catch them in her mouth, so that's what they were doing right now. Kate threw a skittle and Max caught it. The brunette clapped her hands and grinned. 

After a while, the lights began to flicker. "He's here" Will announced and the group ran to the elevator. When they found out, it doesn't work, they started to run up the stairs. When they got there, they saw Jonathan trying to open some door. "Goddamn it!"

"Jesus!" Kate opened it with a nod and saw something really gross on top of Nancy. "What the f-" Max was cut off by the thing screeching. Kate took action and lifted it in the air. She slammed it into both walls, the ceiling and the floor as she screamed. "Go." She told them as they ran out, just to see the thing escaping.