CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Lover's Lake.

"Okay, so apparently we're going this way now? I swear to God, if they get us lost

"Okay, so apparently we're going this way now? I swear to God, if they get us lost..." Max broke the silence, between the three. "Hey. You okay?" Kate asked, when she noticed his discomfort. "Uh, yeah. I'm fine. Just... Thinking about Patrick. You know? I mean, it's... it's like, why him? But then, I remember this one day, he... he came to practice with a black eye. He said he fell, but clearly he was lying. It's like everyone Vecna targets has something in their life. Something that's..."

"Hurting them." Kate completed his sentence. "Haunting them." Max added. "Yeah. I... I didn't really know Patrick, so it was easy to just look the other way, I guess. But I did know you. And I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"It's not your fault. I disappeared. No, no, you didn't. I just didn't look hard enough. Okay? But I see you now. I see you." Kate smiled at the two. The walked after the rest of the group and saw Dustin hugging Eddie. "Jesus, we thought you were a goner." He sighed. "Yeah, me too, man. Me too."

"When I got to the shore, I tried calling you guys, but, uh... My walkie was busted, man. Drenched. So, uh, I did the thing that I do now, apparently. I ran." He chuckled as he was done explaining. "Do you know what time this was? The attack?"

"Yeah, no, I... I know exactly what time it was. My walkie wasn't the only thing that got soaked." He threw his watch at Nancy, who caught them. "9:27." She read. "Same time our flashlights went kablooey."

"Which means what, exactly?" Steve asked. "That that surge of energy was Vecna attacking Patrick." She explained. "Well, we're one step closer. We know how Vecna attacks. And where he attacks from."

"So now we just need to sneak into his lair in the Upside Down and drive a stake through his heart." Kate shrugged. "If he has a heart." Max added. "A stake? Is he like a vamp? Is he a vampire?" Kate sighed. "It was a metaphor."

"A bullet should work on him, right?" Eddie asked. "I say we chop his head off." Lucas pretended to have a sword in his hands. "All of the above, but we can't do any of that 'til we find a way into the Upside Down."

"We need El to get her powers back." Max complained. "Everything was way easier. We had this girl. She had superpowers." Steve started. "Superpowers. Yeah, you mentioned her." Eddie cut him off. "We have this girl with superpowers, but she doesn't want to open the gate." He pointed at Kate. "Why?"

She sighed. "Because, I never did it, which mean two things. That we don't even know if I can open a gate. And that we can't be sure, if it's the right idea. There's a possibility, that it'll get out of control and won't stop growing, which would mean the end of the world. And that's just one thing that could go wrong, there's a lot more. Plus I think, that there's gotta be an open gate somewhere, when Vecna's getting in."

"Hey, uh, Henderson's not, uh, cursed, is he?" He asked after Kate's explanation. "Cursed? No, no. He's fine. Mental? Absolutely." Dustin kept pacing. "Boom! Bada... bada... boom. I was right. Skull Rock was north."

"Seriously? You're serious? This is Skull Rock. Okay? You're totally, absolutely, 100% wrong. Right now." Steve scoffed and Dustin hummed. "Yes. And no." Dustin pointed. "Oh my God." Steve sighed. 

"This worked correctly when we left the Wheelers'. Correct when we got in the car on Curly. But it started to slip the further east we went. Now it's way off. When I was leading us here, I wasn't wrong. The compass was."

"So you're using faulty equipment. You're still wrong." He was so done with Dustin. "Except it isn't faulty. Lucas, remember what can affect a compass?" He turned to the boy. "An electromagnetic field." 

"Yep." Dustin nodded. "Sorry. I must've skipped that class." Robin said. "Yeah, same here." Kate shrugged. "In the presence of a stronger electromagnetic field, the needle will deflect towards that power. So either there's some super big magnet around here, or..."

"There's a gate." Lucas realized. "But we're nowhere near the lab." Nancy denied. "But what if, somehow, there's another gate? A gate that we don't know about. It'd have to be smaller. Way less powerful. Snack-size gate." He explained. "How? Why?"

"No idea. All I know is that something is causing this disturbance, and the last time we've seen anything like it, it was a gate. And I hope it is because then we'd have a way to Vecna. And a shot at freeing Max from this curse."

"Where are you going? Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Eddie's still a wanted man. We can't just go hike in the woods. This little steel capsule might be the key to saving both Max and Eddie. What say you, Eddie the Banished?"

"I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea. But, uh, the Shire... The Shire is burning. So Mordor it is." Eddie got up. "Told you, there's gotta be an open gate." Kate told Steve before walking away. 

"Something's happening." Dustin announced after a lot of walking. "Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie called out as Dustin started to run. "I think we're getting close." He ran even faster. "Watch your step, big guy." 

"You gotta be shitting me." Kate said. "I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie looked around. "Lover's Lake." Robin realized. "This is confounding. There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Dustin seemed surprised. "Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way."

"Yeah, only one way to find out." Steve and Eddie took out a boat. "Easy. I... I said easy, man." Steve stopped Eddie. "Sorry, dude." He apologized. Yeah, I'm just gonna do that. Robin got in the boat. "Wheeler." Nancy got in too. "Hey, hey, hey, you trying to sink us? This thing holds three people tops, okay?"

"It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy told him. "You keep an eye out. It's my goddamn theory." Dustin scoffed. "You heard Nance." Robin stood up. "Who put her in charge?"

"I did." Kate and Robin said at the same time. "Compass." Dustin gave it to her. "Hey, there you go." Steve threw Dustin's backpack at him and got on the boat. "You said three." Steve just mouthed 'sorry'.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos. Miss you already!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They're stopping. What are they stopping for? Guys, what's going on? Come on, talk to me. What's going on?" Dustin spoke. "Uh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital aah!"

Lucas looked trough his binaculars and grimaced. "Ugh. When'd Steve get so hairy?" He turned to Dustin. "Right? I keep telling him he needs to tame that jungle, but he claims the ladies dig it." Kate got up and walked to them. "Let me see." She took the binaculars. "What?"

"You guys realize, if there's a gate down there, it's technically a water gate. Watergate." He chuckled. "Down by the water!" Someone shouted and they quickly crouched. "Shit. Down! Shit. Shit." They all whispered. "It was on this shoreline."

"Dustin, you are a goddamn Einstein. Steve found the gate..." Robin spoke through the walkie, but Dustin turned it off. "Cops." Max announced. "Shit, shit, shit. We can't let 'em find Eddie." 

"Stay with me." Max said, grabbed Kate's hand and forced her to stand up with her. "Hey, officers! Over here! I found the killer! This way!" She shouted and they all started running. "Stop! Get back here, you little rats!"

They kept running until Dustin fell. "Dustin! Shit." Lucas shouted. "Hey there."