˙⋆ Last Day On Campus ⋆˙

Class got out at 7:15.

I shoved my notebook and pen into my backpack and stood up. As I slipped my backpack over my shoulders, I cast a glance back at my friends. Damon was ready to go, still slouching in his seat, and Nadia was putting away a black-and-white speckled notebook. Her face was still bruised from yesterday's accident, and she turned away as students passed, trying to shield herself from the world.

I smiled at them. "You guys ready?"

Damon didn't say anything. He just nodded as his dark bangs fell over his eyes. Nadia flashed a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes and said, "Let's go, doll."

Someone cracked a joke—I can't remember who—and we all started laughing as we pushed the auditorium door open. The beginning streaks of a sunset flickered into view as I threw my head back laughing. Our little group walked slowly across the campus pavement. Damon asked Nadia about the accident. I refused to meet his eyes. She explained what happened in her usual, nurse-like manner. We all fell silent, nodding and whispering "yeah" at all the appropriate places.

Damon pulled out his cellphone and snapped a picture of the scene before us. I glanced up, and a grin pulled at my lips. God's masterpiece is breathtaking, I thought. Pink and orange streaks flew across the sky, highlighted with white and purple accents.

Damon suddenly dropped his backpack and skateboard and raced across the path onto the soccer field.

"What are you doing?" I called.

He held his phone up in the air. "Getting a better angle."

I laughed. I think Nadia did, too. A minute later, he ran back and picked up his things, acting like nothing had happened. He tapped something on his phone.

"You better send me that sunset," I said, knowing that he never would. 

But in that moment, I didn't care about getting a picture of a sunset. I didn't care that he avoided eye contact with me. I didn't care that he refused to acknowledge my words because for the first time in weeks, we actually laughed during class. Today was the first day since our date that we talked. It wasn't about anything special or important. I think it was about the homework. But it was more than I'd gotten in three weeks.

And as Damon parted ways with us, I felt at peace. I still glanced over my shoulder, watching him skateboard away until he became nothing more than a speck in the distance, but when I turned back to Nadia, I knew things would be okay.

Because for whatever reason, I'd been given one good day with the first boy who took me out. We'd had one day where things were normal enough, and I think that's really all I'd ever wanted.