𝟗 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐋𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐨 𝐈𝐬 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤

3rd POV

3rd POV

"Welcome, Boss," Dazai spoke. 

"It's been four years. Do you still wear the coat that I gave you?" 

"Of course... I burned it." 

"Port Mafia Boss, Mori Ogai," Your boss said. 

"Armed Detective Agency Chief Executive, Fukuzawa Yukichi." 

"So the time's finally come," Fukuzawa said as the two were now in front of each other. 

"If the government brass were to find out that the leaders of the two most powerful organizations of gifted individuals are engaged in a secret meeting, they would go insane." 

"I'll get straight to business. A new member of the Agency proposed an alliance with you, the Port Mafia." 

"Oh?" 

"I objected. The idea of cooperating with criminals goes against Agency protocols. But, a certain someone prophesized that we would work together and another requested that we do exactly that. Someone who was shot, slashed and kidnapped by the Port Mafia. Their words carry weight. Therefore, as the head of the Agency, I was left with no choice but to lend an ear." 

"We are both in quite a difficult position." 

"I'll get to the point. Alliance aside, I would like to request a temporary ceasefire." 

"Have you ever read the works of Schelling? Or perhaps of Kissinger?" 

"Both are researchers of tactics. Taught by you-know-who," Dazai explained. 

"I do read Sun Tzu," The Agency boss said. 

"There exists a parallel between state warfare and the tactics of illegal organizations such as ourselves. No one exists to punish either of us, should we violate agreements. What if the Port Mafia suddenly breaks a ceasefire? What if the Agency betrays us? The party that trusted in the agreement would be the only one to suffer. Under the circumstances that reward the first to commit a betrayal, a limited ceasefire cannot be established. The only possibility is for complete cooperation." 

"However, that is impossible," Dazai stated. 

"Correct. The Port Mafia is an organization of face and resentment. Many of my people have been dragged through the mud." 

"Many of mine have been brought to the brink of death, as well." 

"But they didn't die. And that is a source of great shame for the Port Mafia." 

"Then how about this. We settle our accounts here and now," Fukuzawa took his sword out as he swiftly passed the two bodyguards and the two of them now that weapons pressed against one another. 

"I thought you had discarded your katana, Kokenshi Ginro Fukuzawa." 

"And you still haven't grown past your habit of killing people with a scalpel, Doctor Mori. You still think like a little girl."