Chapter 35

Juleka’s POV

Why am I unlucky? Why today? What on Earth did I do to be unlucky?

Clue: before Max and Alix opened your eyes.

Seriously, Star? I don’t care if you are writing this book.

“Jules, can we talk?”

“Don’t call me that. We aren’t together to you call me that anymore.” I snapped, making her flinch, surprisingly not making her cry from that. “Now go find yourself useful and go away.”

“W-Why are y-you being m-mean? D-Did Marinette change you that m-much?”

“Oh, come on, Rose! This isn’t a fantasy world where unicorns are real and there is happily ever after all the time for everyone. Open your eyes, Rose! Marinette doesn’t even have a bad bone on her to do those awful things Lila had the audacity to accuse her of.”

Rose flinched again at me snapping. Oh boy, it has been years since I shouted louder instead of mumbling under my breath. I like it, unlike few, who are now crying for that.

“Look, Jules. I am sorry for what I said before about you and your brother, and I regret breaking off our relationship like that.” Her apology sounds sincere like she means it…

“How about we start again and be there for Lila before Marinette does something else?”

Now all my hope has been ruined. She doesn’t believe Marinette, but that isn’t the main thing. She has the audacity to ask to start again, even though the wound from Thursday is still raw on my back. She hasn’t changed. She hasn’t even grown up. She really is awful.

“No.”

“Awe- WHAT!?!” Rose squeaked, making my ears bleed. “Why…”

“Because I just can’t be with you anymore! You hurt me back then. You didn’t listen to me. Or better, you didn’t want to listen to me. You are blinded by the fantasy that Lila painted in your head, which is sickening to watch for even a second. My brother and my father were involved badly in those lies, and you kept believing them like it was some sort of drug. My own family Lila lied about!”

Rose looks ashamed, but furious at the same time. I have no time for this though.

“So, no. We won’t start over our relationship. It is over. I am leaving that past and I want to work on my future. Good luck with yours.”

I was about to leave, but Rose did something no one would expect her to do. She grabbed my arm very roughly, and with her long nails, it hurt both ways.

“You are making a serious mistake, Juleka! Lila wants to befriend Marinette, but if she will still be a bully and a gold-digger, then she will inform the princess about her and all her friends involved about how they treated her, and that includes you! She will kick you all out of China! That goth girl would not even be able to save you from that…”

“If she will, which she won’t, then I don’t care. And I prefer if you don’t say those kinds of things about my friends. Shanique is an amazing person and the most trustworthy friend I ever had. Actually, everyone in my friend group is, unlike you and others who only sided with that lying b**** because of her fame and connections!!”