Chapter 12

Only 5 minutes til the bell rings. I tried to act interested in this history lesson, by I just couldn't keep my mind from wandering. I couldn't stop thinking about Stiles and when he changed. Tomorrow night was the full moon, and I couldn't bare to be there when it happened. Finally the bell rang, and I dashed out of class. I stopped by my locker to grab my stuff and then headed to my car to find Allison. When she wasn't there, I called her cell but she didn't answer. Something weird was going on. I tried calling Scott and Isaac twice, but nobody was picking up. I hopped in the car and drove to Allison's.

I pulled in her driveway and ran up to the doorbell, ringing it several times before Chris answered.

"Where's Allison?" I spat out. Mr. Argent looked at me funny and then finally spoke.

"They didn't tell you? They are all at the hospital with Stiles, something went wrong." My heart stopped, my eyes widening beyond belief. What could've happened? If Stiles had died, why didn't they tell me? I sprinted back to the car without thanking him, hoping he would understand. I pressed my foot on the gas, speeding over to the hospital.

I parked my car in the middle of the parking lot, not caring whether I got a ticket. I locked the car and ran over to the front desk, where Mrs. McCall was standing. When he saw me, she just pointed to the left. She had tears in her eyes, and there were tears were forming in my own as well. I sprinted as fast as I could down the hallway, where I saw Scott, Allison, Isaac, and the Sheriff standing. When I approached them, they all looked over at me, and then shifted their eyes to the door of Stiles' room.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I sniffled out so that they could barely hear me. Scott just shook his head, and I took that as my cue. I slowly walked over to the door, opening it to reveal Stiles lying still in the bed. A small part of me felt like it had taken its first breath in a long time when I saw his heartbeat on the monitor. It was slow, and I could tell he was about to die. I stepped towards his bed, lying my head next to his chest.

"I'm sorry" I whispered through the tears. "I don't know what to do. If you die, I can't do it. I'll never be able to forgive myself. I can't lose you, and neither can anyone else out there. We can get you through the change, just please hold on for us. For you. And I know you might not want to hang on anymore, but just do it. Please, don't leave." A small puddle formed on his hospital gown, and I knew it was going to happen. I could hear his heartbeat slow, right before it finally stopped.

I stood upright, running towards the door. I went to grab the handle, but everyone on the other side was already opening it. I ran into Allison, squeezing her tighter than I ever had. The Sheriff looked at Stiles, then turned his gaze towards me.

"What did you do!?" He screamed in my face. I couldn't take it, so I screamed. It was the most powerful scream I had ever done, and I could feel it from the way my vocal cords were vibrating. When it finally ended, everyone in the room was looking at me with horrid glares. I put my hand to my mouth and turned to leave, but spun right back around when I heard Stiles gasp for air.

He sat straight up on the bed, looking around at all of us. He was confused and scared, but so were all of us. Stiles' dad ran over and embraced him in a long hug, squeezing Stiles and crying. I waited until everyone had their turn to talk to him, until I was the only one left in the room. A small smile formed on his face, and I walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"I heard you." he said, breaking the silence.

"What?"

"I heard you talking to me. Nobody else did that." I was surprised.

"How? And why didn't you wake up when you heard me?"

"That's the thing, I couldn't wake up. It's like I didn't have enough strength, and then my heart stopped and I had no power. But when you screamed, it's like, it's like I was suddenly engulfed in strength." I thought about what he was saying, and it almost felt like he was thanking me. He shouldn't be, since I was the cause of this in the first place.

"Are you scared? To change?"

"No. Well, I'm scared of what I'll do. When's the full moon?"
"Tomorrow night."
"I remember one of the first times Scott changed, and how he wanted to kill me. The only thing he wanted was to hurt me, and I had to sit there all night and listen to him growling in pain. Until he finally got free. I don't want to hurt anyone, especially you. I think tomorrow night, it should only be Scott and Isaac. I'm going to tell Allison that if I try to hurt anybody, she has to shoot. I don't care who it is, she has to shoot. Lydia, you need to listen to me. No matter what, if I get free, Allison has to shoot. And if I come for you, run. Find Scott. I won't be able to live with myself if I hurt any of you." He begged. I could tell it hurt him to say all this since his eyes were crinkling in a sad and sincere way. I needed to stay away from him. I wouldn't be able to hurt him, even it was to save my own life.

"Stiles, you know I can't promise you that. There has to be another way of making sure you don't get out."

"Lydia. Listen to me. All I want is for you to promise me one thing: you won't let me hurt you or Allison or anybody else. Lydia, you have to promise me." I solemnly nodded, lifting my head so our eyes met. He reached forward and pulled me into him, and I let him. As I pulled away to leave, he whispered one last thing in my ear. "I love you Lydia Martin."