astraea

a/n - just a fluffy thing - glimpses into a soft domesticity of a day away from work

Sometimes you find yourself waking up before Emily; even on your days off from work she likes to be up bright and early, often leaving you curled up beneath the duvet for a while longer.

Today, you awoke to the faint light of the morning. As though it were an all too perfect figment of your imagination, the birds chirped outside the bedroom window and Sergio purred quietly at the way your hand stroked through his fur. Emily's breathing was even, warm exhales landing against your skin where her face had buried itself in the crook of your neck. Her arm lay over your waist and pulled onto you tighter at the small attempt you made to move from where you lay.

You didn't bother to attempt to leave again, you enjoyed the warmth of her arms too much - and you'd only have to brew your morning drinks anyway. If you leave it a little longer, chances are she'll beat you to it.

"I'm not making your coffee," she grumbled against you, somehow knowing your plottings without you saying anything. "You were awake first."

You felt her sly smile on your shoulder when she lay a peck there.

"Nuh-uh," she laughed. "Closing your eyes isn't gonna fool me. I know you're awake, isn't she Sergio?"

You couldn't help the smile that broke through your poor acting, laughing at the way he meowed and gave away your intentions.

"Backstabber," you mumbled. "Fine, I'll make breakfast. After a kiss," you sighed, turning your head to look at the woman with a pout.

Emily giggled slightly but soon pressed a chaste kiss to your lips.

"Gonna need your energy for what I've got planned," she winked.

You decided to take your time finishing your breakfast. At first, it was a usual morning; you always have quiet conversation whilst you eat. You lay a bowl out for Sergio, sit opposite one another at the table and you often help Emily fill out a crossword puzzle.

Today, however, where you'd usually finish up clearing your plate, you purposefully took your time. Emily had long finished hers, cutlery placed neatly and pushed aside while she engaged in more chatter with you. She wasn't oblivious to what you were doing - she was rather amused by the growing slump in your posture at what's to come.

"You're like a child," she laughed as you rested your cheek in your hand with a sigh.

"Nuh-uh," you countered. "I'm just taking my time."

"Mhm, you're definitely not trying to take so long that I forget what we're meant to be doing," she returned sarcastically.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you shrugged.

"C'mon - finish up and clean your teeth. We've got lots to do."

She laughed at the way you stroppily did as she said, clearing your plate before taking them both to the kitchen sink. She followed you into the bathroom, thoroughly entertained by your plethora of sighs as you cleaned your teeth beside her, scowling at her playfully in the reflection of the mirror.

"I'll let you pick what we do after," she spoke once she'd given you a brief and minty kiss. Though your grin faltered slightly when she spoke again. "As long as you're good. Best behaviour, now chop-chop, it's spring cleaning time."

She didn't accept your counter-argument when she suggested it the other day, the fact that it was actually summer and the concept should be void. There was no swaying her with this - there seldom ever is once she's decided something. Usually, that's a trait you quite admire, but you'd much rather be doing anything other than a deep clean of your apartment.

You'd been tasked with a thorough organisation of the kitchen first. She doesn't need to know about the snack breaks you rewarded yourself with.

"She's mean, huh?" you whispered to the black cat who perched beside you. You're sure he agrees. Certain his presence is a translation of his opinion - that you truly should be having a fun day off. Not completing chores.

You kept an eye on the clock, hurrying each task you had to complete in hopes it'd rush the rest of the day. Still, it took you longer than you hoped. Reorganising cupboards and scrubbing each surface spotlessly was not a thirty-minute job, unfortunately.

Once it was 'Emily-approved', you were summoned to the living room to put your efforts together and do the same again. This time, at least, was less lonely. But still, you held the tiniest resentment towards the woman who smiled each time you huffed in boredom.

"It looks so much better though, doesn't it?" she stated once you were finally finished, sitting beside where you'd dramatically thrown yourself onto the sofa.

"I guess."

"You guess," she mocked, teasingly. "C'mon then, what're we doing now? I saw you eyeing up those blankets," she added with a nudge to your shoulder and a laugh at the way you instantly brightened up.

And that is how the pair of you ended up beneath a blanket fort in your living room. You'd come across some fairy lights you'd forgotten you owned which now lit up the cosy space.

It took a little effort to get it all to stand upright but, after some teamwork (and a couple of disagreements on the physics of it all) you were eventually able to lie beside each other atop a layer of pillows and comforters.

"This is nice," Emily murmured next to you, entwining her hand with yours while Sergio made himself at home between your bodies.

"It is," you nodded with a blissful smile. "I told you the kitchen chair would hold it all together."

"Whatever," she groaned laughingly.

You'd built it in the perfect spot to watch a movie in the perfect comfort, a bowl of popcorn shared between you as you laughed at the scenes on the screen. The only time either of you reluctantly left was to answer the door to the delivery driver.

"I found something else that I wanna use," you spoke once the credits rolled in, gesturing for her to follow you out to the balcony. She couldn't get rid of her smile the entire day and seeing your excited footsteps carrying you through your shared home only made it grow.

...

"You're so cute when you talk about the stuff you like," Emily breathed, unable to let you carry on looking into the eye of your telescope and rambling on about the stars above. She always loved to listen to you - and you her - neither of you could grow tired of the sound. She just had to kiss you, to show you her love, she was getting antsy just fuelled with an adoration she had to press to your lips.

"You're cute when you listen," you smiled. She'd stopped you from being bashful with your interests, she always encourages you to talk as freely as you want to with the things you find interesting. She learns from you and you learn from her and what is better than being able to grow with somebody else?

"Now, tell me more."

"If you look, right here, you can actually see the Libra constellation - your constellation," you returned, adjusting the telescope just right so that she could look directly at it.

"It's pretty."

"Well, of course it is. Your zodiac's constellation has gotta be."

"Flatterer," she laughed.

"Yeah," you shrugged with a matching chuckle.

You soon got into telling her more about it all and she watched and listened to you in your element, enjoying every second.

"So, the scales of Libra belong to the goddess Astraea. She was the goddess of the stars - of justice and purity and all the good in the world. She reminds me of you," you explained. "She was the last immortal to live with humans, leaving because of her disgust of humanity's brutality."

"So, you think I'm a goddess," she smirked, pulling you into her lap once you were done.

"I guess so," you grinned back. "I think you're my own personal star."