Chapter 5 1/2

Phil's POV
Phil Dwyer wasn't the best man, and he admits that.

He, like most people, went through a party phase.  His, however, was abruptly stopped when he got a woman 10 years his senior pregnant. Now the 24 year old had a choice to make, since Renee decided to keep the baby, he could either ditch her and his unborn child or he could help raise the baby. He chose the latter despite the fact that he never wanted children, he wasn't going to just abandon his baby.

So Phil married Renee and got a job as a baseball player which kept him away from home almost all year round, but he made enough money to support his new family.

Soon, Anastasia was born, he got paternity leave and stayed home to help Renee with the their daughter. After that, Phil only saw Ana a handful of times. He mostly only saw her on her birthday, and she amazed him every time he saw her.

Despite her young age Ana was extremely smart, mature, and independent. It honestly worried him sometimes, but Renee reassured him that everything was fine.

Renee had more experience with children from already being a mother and an elementary school art teacher so Phil relied heavily on her in Ana's care.

He later found out that this was a mistake.

He had come home early for Christmas to surprise his family only to find Bella opening presents by herself while Ana stood by the kitchen doorway hidden from view watching sadly at the happy family moment.

Phil was rightfully angry and immediately started demanding answers from Renee who scrambled for excuses before she let out the truth;

"Because it was a mistake! It never should've been born! I only needed it to convince you to marry me and give me your money! I hate it! It's not my daughter!"

Phil was horrified and disgusted by her words. Phil, as previously stated, wasn't a perfect man. He didn't want kids, or marriage, or any sort of family. He was happy by himself. But he didn't hate or resent Ana, nor did he love her. Phil wasn't without sympathy or compassion and he would step up to the plate for Ana if needed.

And right now Ana needed him to step up.

So with no other option, he divorced Renee. For two months the duo struggled with both custody issues and the prenup agreement. Renee only wanted custody over Ana so Phil would have to pay child support, and Phil knew it but he didn't have any proof.

He noticed that the strain the divorce was having on Ana and Bella so he suggested that they both be sent to live elsewhere until this unpleasant situation was resolved.

Sadly there was no other option but Charlie to send them, so with great reluctance he sent his only daughter where she could be away from the fighting.

Little did he know that he set the course of young Ana's destiny into action in doing so.