12

CHAPTER 12 The world shows no mercy

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

This was Da Yan’s first Lantern Festival celebration. It was glaringly obvious that Shentu Cheng put a lot of effort and money into it. The lanterns were much grander and more intricate than those from the previous dynasty. Two huge dragon lanterns, operated by hundreds of bearers, soared and spun in the night sky, stunning everyone with their radiance and majesty. Everyone followed the undulating dragons in awe and excitement, their cheerful laughters ringing out into the sky.

In all fairness, it was truly beautiful. The lanterns formed a vast ocean, and the festive crowds were like waves. Even the dark sky was illuminated, and the vast surface of the outer Taiye Pool was like a mirror, reflecting this dazzling world. Looking down from Puqing Terrace, the two inverted neighboring worlds seem like a dream. Lan Dan was mesmerized. Beauty was beauty, regardless of one’s state of mind while admiring it. Yet, she was also confused, unsure whether the desolate and rancid world from just a few days ago was an illusion, or if this lavish and magnificient world in front of her was the reality. She had experienced this kind of confusion before, doubting whether her life as a princess was reality or a dream amidst the sorrow and misery. She smiled, realizing that life was surreal, with reality and fantasy difficult to distinguish. Fate often seemed like a game played by the heavens, with some buried under jade palaces and flowers one day, and under the loess the next. Who knew what tomorrow might bring… whether it would be such a magnificent scene or pitch-black darkness of the underworld.

Shentu Rui walked over to her side and silently watched with her.

The pre-celebration came to a brief halt, as the dragon lanterns descended. Suddenly, fireworks were set off at the four corners of the outer Taiye Pool, painting the sky in a myriad of colors.

Under the organization of the officials, the people knelt down and kowtowed three times towards the Puqing Terrace, shouting out “long live”.

Amidst the dazzling fireworks, the world became so magnificent that the resounding cheers made people feel an indescribable sense of expansion, as if the towering Puqing Terrace was their own height, looking down upon the tiny ants filling their line of sight.

Just as Lan Dan was about to sigh, she heard Shentu Rui let out a long sigh before being drowned out by the cheers. If they weren’t standing so close, she wouldn’t have heard him.

With the kowtow ceremony over, the celebration officially began, with singing, dancing, and various performances on display, showcasing the prosperity and stability of Da Yan to the unsettled common people.

Shentu Rui looked at the jubilant crowd and commented, “How heartless…”

Lan Dan couldn’t help turning her head to look at him. How did he know what she was thinking?

Shentu Rui smiled. The warm red light of the colored lanterns illuminated his handsome face, but it made his smile seem so cold. “Indeed, the world is heartless. In fact, your father and your Xiao family have governed competently. However, nobody will remember that. This beautiful land is particularly forgetful.”

Lan Dan’s eyebrows rose ironically. “Since the world is so heartless, why do you still want it?”

Shentu Rui’s smile deepened, revealing his perfectly white teeth. He appeared very cheerful and honest. “Even so, I still want it!”

A group of people walked over, with Lan Cheng leading the way. She gazed solely at Shentu Rui, and when she reached him, she hugged his arm and leaned against him. “Brother Rui, remember what you promised me.”