49

Chapter 49 Each person must abide by their own fate

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Before Lan Huang could finish speaking, all the soldiers around him drew their swords and prepared for battle. Shentu Cheng immediately responded with hostility, and for a moment, the tension was so high that the battle could break out at any moment.

The sound of swords being drawn frightened Lan Dan, who had never been this close to war before. Neither side spoke, and the crackling of the flames engulfing everything was the only sound. The pressure of silence was more powerful than screaming and shouting. Lan Dan held her bundle tightly against her chest, not because she was afraid of losing it, but because it was an unconscious action. She was too nervous and scared to look up and didn’t know if Shentu Rui was coldly staring at her. She was afraid that if she looked up, she wouldn’t be able to resist looking at him.

“I didn’t expect…” Shentu Cheng began leisurely. He wore an air of superiority, already confident of his victory, his voice sounding almost pitying. “That you and I would end things like this.”

Lan Huang sneered. Shentu Cheng had made a habit of lying, and even now, in such a dire situation, he continued to say nauseating things. How could he not have expect of this? How many times had he thought long and hard about it? “I think a quick battle like this is much better than you poisoning me in the deep palace or me poisoning you.” Lan Huang flicked her sleeve.

It has to be said that in this round of taunts, she was much more domineering and imposing than Shentu Cheng.

“You’re right,” Shentu Cheng nodded and then sneered, “You are so cold-blooded that you harm everyone. We were at least once husband and wife, now that we’ve come to this end, do you have nothing to say?”

“I have never liked you, and even dislike you very much,” Lan Huang said coldly. What else did he expect her to say?

Shentu Cheng smiled self-deprecatingly. “I know.” He looked at Lan Huang and said, “You’ve always had feelings for that person in your heart. Besides him, you don’t like anyone else.”

As soon as this was said, several people’s faces changed, and even Lan Huang’s mouth twitched. She knew Shentu Cheng too well and was afraid of his deception, so she tried hard not to look at Shentu Rui.

Lan Dan’s breath also became hurried. Would it be unfavorable for him if Shentu Cheng knew about the relationship between Lan Huang and Shentu Rui? With Shentu Cheng’s treachery, would he take advantage of the chaos in the city and Shentu Rui’s lack of loyal troops to harm him?

“Do you know who killed your beloved Chong Wen?” Shentu Cheng’s smile was faint, but there was an unconcealable sense of pride.

Lan Dan felt relieved and cautiously exhaled a long breath.

Since he mentioned Chong Wen, Lan Huang had become indifferent and even annoyed. She didn’t care whether Chong Wen died at the hands of her father or someone else. “It wouldn’t be you, would it?” she raised her eyebrows mockingly.

Shentu Cheng laughed, “You guessed it right. It was me who sent someone to kill Chong Wen halfway, not only making you and your father estranged but also making Nanyue resent Da Min and causing a rift between the two countries.”

Lan Huang sneered, indifferent to the result, “Come on, stop talking nonsense!”

Shentu Cheng was taken aback. He didn’t expect Lan Huang to be so indifferent to this secret and was silent for a while.

Although Lan Dan didn’t look up, she could feel his embarrassment and disappointment. It seemed that he was hoping to use this to strike a blow against Lan Huang, waiting until the last moment to reveal the truth. It was so embarrassing and ridiculous to be so confident without knowing the truth. Lan Dan couldn’t help but reflect on how many foolish things she had done and how many foolish things she had said.