30

CHAPTER 30 Imposing an unbearable burden

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

When she saw the city gate of the capital from afar, Lan Dan felt that the familiar city tower looked more magnificent and towering than before. The contrast with Tongye was stark, and even Fengyang couldn’t measure up.

Every roof, every flying eave, every tile and every city wall exuded the majesty of the imperial capital.

The sight of the city tower, which had witnessed the rise and fall of several generations of Emperors from the Xiao family and had endured countless wars and conspiracies, weighed heavily on her. It carried so much of the joy and sadness of those who had either succeeded or failed in their quest for power. In the past, she had never felt anything, but passing by the city tower now almost made her burst into tears.

She was also a part of the tragic history, a record that was not glorious, and compared to the magnificent stories of others, she might only be a small footnote. The capital did not care about her, but as soon as she stepped into the city, she felt numerous conspiracies and dangers lurking around with a strong smell of blood, which made her feel heavy and frightened.

However, the people in the capital did not think so. Everyone in the market lived a comfortable and peaceful life, greeted each other with respect, and the whole city looked prosperous and harmonious, filled with the dignity and prosperity of the capital.

When Lan Dan looked at Shentu Rui who was riding alongside her, his expression was calm, unlike her tumultuous thoughts. Perhaps he had grown accustomed to it and was now numb and indifferent.

He caught her eye and smiled, “Let Sun Shi Xiang accompany you back to the mansion. I have to go to the palace to pay my respects to my mother.”

Lan Dan nodded, thinking of the youthful Empress Dowager in Taici Palace. She was really good to Shentu Rui, and treated him differently than she did Shentu Cheng. Shentu Rui was also very filial to her, and upon arriving in the capital, he felt like he was delaying his visit by returning home to freshen up.

It was not easy to maintain such sincere affection in the heart of Shentu family’s conspiracies.

Her eyes flickered as she suddenly remembered the confidential letter from that night. Shentu Rui was so eager to go to the palace, perhaps it was not only to pay respects to his mother, but also to see Lan Huang?

“What’s on your mind again?” asked Shentu Rui, both amused and exasperated.

Lan Dan sighed, realizing that her thoughts were really like a child’s scribbles in his eyes.

“Alright, alright,” Shentu Rui surrendered. “You can come with me!”

Lan Dan instinctively wanted to refuse. The palace, where she had grown up, made her feel suffocated even at the mere thought of it, let alone returning there. Nevertheless, she bit her lip and remained silent, determined to find out the secret between Shentu Rui and Lan Huang.

As they approached the palace walls, Shentu Rui switched the carriage for Lan Dan. After a short ride, the carriage suddenly stopped, and Lan Dan was thrown forward. Shentu Rui lifted the curtain and said calmly, “Come out and see. The Dragon Wall has been demolished.”

Lan Dan made a small noise and disembarked the carriage.

He had told her earlier that the Dragon Wall would be demolished, but seeing the majestic wall built by her father reduced to a pile of ruins still caused her unbearable pain.

The demolition of the Dragon Wall by Shentu Cheng was done in a particularly crude and violent manner, with pillars directly knocked down and the materials not being reused, but smashed on the spot and the debris sent out of the city.