16

CHAPTER 16 To seek help in a time of trouble

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Spring had arrived, but the chill in the air persisted. Lan Dan’s maid, unyielding in her determination to keep her moving, had dragged her through the gardens for what seemed like an eternity. As she trailed behind the maid, she shuddered, feeling the cold penetrate to her very bones. She suggested they turn back, but the maid was insistent that they continue, claiming it would help improve her circulation.

Lan Dan was gradually becoming less afraid of Shentu Rui, but his servants still intimidated her with their stern, unyielding demeanor. Their austere nature made them seem more like palace instructors than mere attendants. Even when Lan Dan asked for their names, they remained tight-lipped and unsmiling.

Shentu Rui’s mansion was not expansive, and there were only a handful of guards and servants. After a while, she declared her desire to return to her quarters, half-expecting her maid to order her to press on. To her surprise, the maid nodded in agreement, her cold demeanor unchanged.

As they made their way back, they walked down the main path that led to the inner courtyard and encountered Shentu Rui, who was returning from the morning court and had yet to change out of his official clothing.

Shentu Rui spotted Lan Dan and walked over with a charming smile. He looked very handsome with his various gold and jade crowns adorning his black hair and snow-white skin. The formal attire of the Da Yan dynasty emphasized grandeur, especially the court attire, which was elaborately decorated with silk robes, high crowns, and jade belts. The outfit exuded a commanding presence that surpassed his usual charm and gracefulness.

“The Emperor has ordered me to go out to hunt down Xiao Bing Wen, and leave in about three days.”

Shentu Rui’s words shook Lan Dan to the core, sending her heart into a flurry of chaos. She longed to find the courage to ask him to take her along, but the fear of rejection held her tongue in check.

“Oh,” she responded vaguely, “then…how long will it take for you to come back?”

Shentu Rui looked at her indifferently and replied, “At least three months, at most half a year.”

He usually talked a lot, but today he was uncharacteristically reserved and gave only brief and succinct answers.

Three months? Half a year?

Lan Dan became anxious. With him out of the capital, this small mansion may not be able to provide her with the security she needed. She thought of the way Shentu Cheng looked at her, and she felt both sick and worried.

“Let me freshen up first, and then we’ll eat together.” Shentu Rui smiled, walked past her with his head held high, and interrupted the words she had gathered the courage to say.

Fortunately, they could still eat together tonight. Lan Dan breathed a long sigh of relief, but her mood didn’t ease up much.

The food in the Prince of Yan’s Mansion was also quite unique. It was never a feast of exotic delicacies. Shentu Rui and Lan Dan had six home-cooked dishes placed on a small low table. They sat cross-legged on soft cushions.

Shentu Rui ate with relish, not speaking, not even looking at her. Lan Dan picked at her rice with her chopsticks, not knowing where to start the conversation.

“Um…” She put down her chopsticks and started hesitantly.

While carefully picking out the fish bones with his chopsticks, Shentu Rui absentmindedly grunted in response, indicating for her to continue.