17

CHAPTER 17 Fact or fiction, reality or illusion

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Lan Dan was no stranger to horseback riding, but she had never quite mastered the skill due to her limited opportunities to practice. Fortunately, Shentu Rui’s horse was gentle and just the right height for her. Despite her nerves, Lan Dan managed to maintain her composure and avoid any major blunders.

Lan Dan heard the sound of approaching horses, so she guided her horse to the side of the road to avoid startling it.

The sound of the horse galloping was clear and crisp. Lan Dan turned her head to see that it was none other than Lan Cheng, mounted on a striking ebony steed that seemed to contrast perfectly with her cloak, billowing behind her like a graceful fan. The morning sun, peeking through the crevices in the roofs, lent her a soft radiance that appeared to illuminate the entire world around her.

As she watched, Lan Dan recalled Shentu Rui’s remark about a woman’s beauty stemming from her inner self. Women of great distinction all had a unique charm that set them apart. Like Lan Cheng, her unwavering confidence and poise shone through, making her an ethereal beauty to behold.

“Brother Rui! Brother Rui!” Lan Cheng called out eagerly, waving at Shentu Rui. He stopped his horse and waited for her, raising his hand to greet her and telling her not to ride so fast.

Lan Cheng urged her horse forward, commanding it to halt abruptly in the same location as Shentu Rui’s steed. Her breaths came in rapid gasps as she gazed at him, her eyes betraying her annoyance. “Why… why didn’t you wait for me to see you off?” However, as her gaze flickered towards the figure of Lan Dan perched on the horse by the roadside, her expression turned sour with anger.

“Why did you bring her along?” Lan Cheng pointed her horsewhip at Lan Dan. “Didn’t Brother Emperor already made arrangement for her?”

Shentu Rui, who was usually impatient with Lan Cheng, surprisingly appeared to be in good spirits on this particular day. “I do not trust anyone else to attend to her needs, so I decided to take her myself,” he declared.

Lan Cheng was caught off-guard, choking momentarily before her eyes widened in fury. “No way! You cannot bring her along! What sort of man takes a woman with him on official business?”

Shentu Rui’s pleasant smile faded, but his composure remained firm as he lifted his chin. “What of it? Who dares question my actions?”

Lan Cheng seethed with rage, yet found herself at a loss for words. The Prince of Yan was so tyrannical, even the Emperor dared not cross him.

“Alright, you came to see me off, I appreciate the gesture, now you can leave,” said Shentu Rui in his usual indifferent tone.

Lan Cheng gritted her teeth, considering her options before reluctantly agreeing, “I shall see you off to the city gate.”

With a swift glance in Lan Cheng’s direction, Shentu Rui cracked his whip, prompting his chestnut horse to take off in a thundering gallop. Lan Cheng hastened to follow suit, trailed by their retinue. The sudden acceleration jolted Lan Dan, causing her to fall behind the rest.

By the time she reached the city gate, Shentu Rui had already managed to make Lan Cheng cry. Infuriated, she whipped her black horse and raced back to the city, nearly colliding with Lan Dan’s mount in the process. A gust of wind stirred up dust, momentarily blinding Lan Dan.

The pace of the team slowed down again, allowing Lan Dan to catch up with Shentu Rui easily.

“What did you say to make her so angry?” asked Lan Dan, feeling a twinge of indignation on behalf of her sister. Despite her sibling’s hot-headedness, Lan Dan couldn’t help but feel protective of her due to her concern for Second Sister’s situation.