48

Chapter 48 Losing by a single move

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Lan Dan covered Shentu Rui with a thin blanket while he slept soundly. She looked at him for a while under the moonlight and realized that he was truly tired. She smiled, leaned over, and lightly kissed his cheek. He didn’t move or react at all.

As expected, Lan Huang counted every step accurately. If she left now, Shentu Rui wouldn’t find out until tomorrow and it would be too late to catch her. She had wondered why she didn’t leave when the city was at war. Later, she realized that not only did Shentu Rui leave Sun Shi Xiang to watch her every move, but during the battle, the four city gates were on high alert, and not even a fly could get out. It was not like now, when the troops in the city were tired and weak, and it was not easy to alarm them.

Someone outside the door coughed lightly, making Lan Dan’s heart tremble. It was finally time to say goodbye. She looked at Shentu Rui again. Was she reluctant to leave? Yes, she was, but there was no way around it. He was someone she couldn’t afford to be with. She decisively turned her head away and didn’t look at him again. She quietly took out the already packed bag from the cabinet and opened the door. She saw Zi Fu standing outside, looking at the moon. Her gentle face had no expression.

“Let’s go,” Zi Fu said to the moon, not looking at her, and led her to the back door. The guards on duty were probably all arranged by Lan Huang beforehand. They didn’t stop or ask any questions when they saw them leave quietly.

Outside the General’s mansion, the street was empty as if the entire city was in deep slumber. Lan Dan didn’t see any horses and was feeling a bit puzzled, but Zi Fu seemed to anticipate her question and said flatly, “The city is filled with soldiers. Riding horses is too conspicuous. It’s safer to walk to the city gate. Hurry, the patrol will be here soon.”

Lan Dan nodded and followed Zi Fu closely.

After walking for a while on the street, Lan Dan tried to orient herself. “Isn’t this the way to the West Gate?” Shouldn’t they be going to the East Gate?

“Yes, it’s the West Gate,” Zi Fu affirmed stiffly, her brows furrowed as if she heard something. “Quick! Hurry up!”

Lan Dan was flustered by her urgency and was about to ask why when they heard the sound of battle cries coming from the north. It was particularly terrifying at night. The flames suddenly burst out and lit up the sky, burning down the houses in the north corner of Tongye City. The red light reflected the sky, making the moon look dim, and soon it was shrouded by thick smoke.

“Hurry up! Hurry up!” Zi Fu’s expression changed and she was very flustered, even pulling Lan Dan’s arm and dragging her into a jog. “Why did they come earlier?!” She grumbled fiercely.

“What’s going on?” Scared by the deafening shouts and the flames, Lan Dan looked back as she ran. The whole street was lit up, and the fire and sounds of battle were spreading quickly throughout the city, getting closer and closer to them.

“Don’t ask! If you delay any longer, you won’t be able to leave!” Zi Fu screamed, almost falling because of panic, dragging Lan Dan to stagger.

Her voice was quickly drowned out by the tsunami-like cries of battle. Lan Dan didn’t know where, but she heard the screams of children and women, shrill and miserable. The entire city was engulfed in flames, like being in hell, making people shudder with fear.

Flames also appeared in the west of the city, and the sound of crying and roaring suddenly boiled up. Because of the short distance, Lan Dan felt waves of scorching hot air rushing towards them.