43

CHAPTER 43 Powerless to break free

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

As soon as Shentu Rui’s carriage entered the gate of the Prince of Yan’s mansion, Lan Cheng’s carriage followed closely behind. He had no choice but to get out of the carriage in the front yard.

Lan Dan hesitated in the carriage. There shouldn’t have been a third person present in this scene. Lan Cheng’s arrival was already a desperate move to support Shentu Rui. Any bystander, especially herself, watching this hopeless struggle, would be too cruel.

Lan Cheng got out of the carriage and stood stiffly in the courtyard, staring at Shentu Rui without saying a word, until Sun Shi Xiang ordered the closure of the mansion gate and dispersed everyone. Only then did she speak.

“Why?” she sharply questioned Shentu Rui.

Although Lan Dan had already quickened her pace, she had only just reached the gate when Lan Cheng spoke. The cry-like question poured into her ears, and her heart was stung fiercely.

She knew that the moment of endurance had reached its limit for Lan Cheng. If it were her, she might not have been able to wait until the gate was closed and everyone had dispersed. She had also experienced that raging resentment and profound sorrow before— when the executioner’s sword fell, and the city was empty. If she had seen Shen Tu Cheng, she would only ask him, “Why?”

Shentu Rui remained calm. Although he had drunk a lot of alcohol, there was not a hint of drunkenness in his tone. He had long anticipated this scene with Lan Cheng, but he didn’t expect her temper to be so impatient that she would chase him from the imperial palace.

“The Empress Dowager should have already told you,” he said flatly, almost coldly.

“Yes! She told me that you absolutely cannot!” Lan Cheng shouted without restraint.

Lan Dan had already hurried past the Chuihua Gate, but saw Zi Fu rushing over in a hurry. She saw Lan Dan but ignored her and went straight to the front yard. Obviously, she wanted to be the cruel bystander. Lan Dan had to grab her forcefully. Even though there was a wall between them, they could still communicate. Lan Dan couldn’t speak, so she could only shake her head repeatedly at Zi Fu with a furrowed brow. Zi Fu sneered contemptuously, shook off Lan Dan’s grip, and then Lan Dan got angry and grabbed her arm even harder, dragging her back.

“Then what’s the problem?” Shentu Rui’s voice drifted over, and Zi Fu sensed his attitude. She didn’t rush to show herself, and stopped struggling with Lan Dan, instead listened quietly to the movements in the front yard.

“Yes! None of you have a problem, but you still become relatives with the Su family, making them even more loyal to you. But I have a problem! The person I like is you! The person I want to marry is you! I…”

Shentu Rui clicked his tongue in disgust and interrupted her, “Stop talking nonsense! I am your brother, I can’t marry you.”

“You’re not my brother! You’re the son of Shentu Rong Qing. We’re not blood-related!” Lan Cheng’s sharp and piercing voice grew even louder, making it clear to those inside the wall. “The Emperor is my brother, not you!” She started crying and becoming a bit crazy. “I know you don’t have feelings for me, but you don’t have feelings for Zi Fu either, right? If you can accept her, why can’t it be the same for me?”

Zi Fu sneered, and seeing that she was not moving, Lan Dan let go of her hand.

Lan Cheng in the front yard took a deep breath, trying to control her tears so that she could speak clearly. “I… I only want to be with you day and night… even if it’s just to see you day and night.” She started crying again and her words were cut off.