34

CHAPTER 34 Dark corner

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

The most essential part of a night banquet wasn’t the food, but rather the festive ambiance and beautiful surroundings that made it a memorable experience.

In the enchanting world of glass where the lake reflected the lights and flowers, numerous indistinct emotions were kindled and intertwined. Promises made in hushed tones at midnight could alter each other’s destiny.

The lakeside forest was filled with the slender figures of young noblewomen and gentlemen, as if this small corner of the vast imperial city was overflowing with people. The elders tactfully gather together to chat with the Empress Dowager and ease their boredom, leaving the younger generation to enjoy their night viewing without disturbance.

After sitting with the Empress Dowager for a while, Lan Dan couldn’t stand being stared at by the palace maids any longer. It was no wonder why they were staring, as she was the only one left while everyone else had disappeared. Lan Dan stood up and walked away, pretending to admire a peach tree in full bloom nearby, gradually distancing herself from the middle-aged noblewomen with their piercing stares. It wasn’t until she reached the depths of the peach grove that she breathed a sigh of relief. In the past night banquets, she was a nobody that nobody paid attention to, feeling insignificant and desolate. It was even more uncomfortable to be stared at so intently.

“…Someone is coming. This servant will take her leave first.” A sweet and gentle farewell came from deeper within the peach grove.

Startled, Lan Dan knew she had unintentionally disturbed the mandarin ducks. Before she could move to avoid them, a pretty girl with her maidservant emerged from the shadows and bowed respectfully as she passed. Lan Dan felt embarrassed, feeling sorry and unsure of what to say or do. She was just about to return a bow when she was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Shentu Cheng.

This was the first time Lan Dan had been alone with him since the Lantern Festival. The girl and her maidservant quickly departed, leaving only her and Shentu Cheng. Lan Dan felt instantly flustered and nervous.

“Fu Zhu?” Shentu Cheng’s tone was more serious and calm than ever before, without any hint of suggestive meaning. “What are you doing here?”

Perhaps because she was in the dark and felt a natural protection, Lan Dan soon calmed down. Why should she be afraid of Shentu Cheng? If they must calculate right and wrong, debts and grudges, then Shentu Cheng owed her a lot. As a creditor, she should not always shrink away.

“Just walking around,” she replied indifferently.

Shentu Cheng smiled and looked straight at her without any avoidance. “You’ve changed.”

Lan Dan’s heart beat faster. Did he know?

“The last time I saw you, you hadn’t fallen for Shentu Rui yet.” Shentu Cheng sighed with a smile. “Now… your heart is all for him, isn’t it?” he asked, but his certainty was absolute.

Lan Dan secretly breathed a sigh of relief. Her heart was still beating violently, and she didn’t have the energy to respond to his words that had little practical significance.

“Don’t worry.” Shentu Cheng pursed his lips. “Since you have someone in your heart, I naturally won’t make things difficult for you anymore. I know you understand what I mean.” He raised his hand and plucked a peach blossom that was just above his head, spinning it lightly on his fingertips.

Lan Dan looked at him solemnly. She didn’t know how she managed to do it, but she didn’t flinch or feel guilty, just stared back at him. “Do you really like Her Excellence?” she asked directly, imitating Shentu Rui’s tone. In her mind, she remembered the smile that passed between him and Lan Huang as they supported each other in the Taici Palace. If there were no feelings between them, how could they have gazed at each other that way?