32

CHAPTER 32 A plausible theory

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

At daybreak, Shentu Rui sat up quietly to avoid disturbing Lan Dan who was sleeping next to him. In the faint light, he was struck by how delicate and beautiful she looked. He couldn’t resist bending down to kiss her cheek.

She trembled slightly, clearly awake, but kept her eyes tightly shut, pretending to be asleep. Shentu Rui smiled and called her out, “Are you awake?”

Realizing that Shentu Rui could see through her act, Lan Dan gave a muted hum in response, her voice sounding huskier than she had anticipated.

Shentu Rui got out of bed, dressed himself, and made some tea. He then helped Lan Dan sit up and offered her the cup to drink.

Lan Dan huddled under the blanket, refusing to come out. Shentu Rui found her behavior both endearing and frustrating, but chose to give her the tea and let her go back to sleep.

“I’m going to the palace today,” he said. Afraid that Lan Dan might misunderstand, he explained, “I’m going to accompany my mother for the day, otherwise she’ll really be angry. You don’t have to wait for me. I should come back very late.”

Lan Dan snorted and muttered, “Who’s waiting for you!”

Feeling in a good mood, Shentu Rui didn’t want to argue with her and got up to prepare himself.

“I’m going to see my Second Sister today.” Lan Dan lay motionless under the blanket, but her tone was firm.

Shentu Rui clicked his tongue in displeasure and scolded her, “You’re already in this condition, why run around? Just lie down and rest!”

“I’m going,” Lan Dan said with calm decisiveness.

Shentu Rui moved his lips a few times, but only snorted in the end. He opened the door, and called the servant girl to bring a bag of silver. “Give it to your sister. You can’t come to the door empty-handed,” he said bitterly, feeling that the prestige he had established in front of her was further lost. “I’ll have Sun Shi Xiang take you there,” he added, feeling even more frustrated when she unhappily hummed in response.

Sun Shi Xiang rode alongside Lan Dan’s carriage on horseback. Just a little while after leaving the residence, Lan Dan signaled to stop the carriage. Sun Shi Xiang quickly got off his horse and asked what she wanted.

“I want to take a walk.” Lan Dan got out of the car with a tired expression.

Sun Shi Xiang blinked, thinking he had guessed why Lan Dan was so despondent, so he didn’t dissuade her. Instead, he signaled for the carriage and followers to leave a distance and slowly followed along with Lan Dan through the streets.

The sky was overcast, as if it was going to rain. Although it was already the time to do business in the market, the street was sparsely populated. Lan Dan walked absent-mindedly, her eyes lifeless.

“Miss Fu Zhu, you don’t have to worry too much about Zi Fu and the others,” Sun Shi Xiang said disdainfully. “His Highness didn’t want to offend Her Excellence, so he reluctantly accommodated her.” When it came to Lan Huang, he showed much more respect.

Lan Dan’s eyes flickered. “Is your master very familiar with Her Excellence?”

Sun Shi Xiang hadn’t expected her to bring up Lan Huang so suddenly and was suddenly at a loss for words.

Looking at Sun Shi Xiang’s reaction, Lan Dan didn’t need to hear his answer anymore.

“How long have you been following Shentu Rui?” She changed the subject.