19

CHAPTER 19 A flood in early spring catches people off guard

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Gaolin County lay adjacent to Yingshan Prefecture, its land stretching out to meet the lapping waters of the Jialong River. A hub for commerce, the bustling county town boasted a vital port where travelers and traders alike could rest their weary feet. Along the riverbank, the hardworking locals plied their trades, running quaint inns and quaint shops, casting their nets into the river, or ferrying eager passengers across its tranquil waters.

The small fish restaurant that Shentu Rui went to was located in the rural outskirts of Gaolin County, upstream from the town’s wharf. The proprietor had fashioned a simple wooden house, its foundations raised high above the water, much like a humble water pavilion. As one gazed out of the window, the serene waters of the river seemed to paint a picturesque view, adding to the quaintness of the wooden house.

As the sun climbed higher into the sky, the mist that had cloaked the river in a veil dissipated, revealing a glistening surface that sparkled in the spring warmth. The rushing waters flowed inexorably towards the distant town, with its forest of masts, evoking a sense of liberation and expansiveness that comes from viewing human settlements from afar.

Lan Dan sat by the window, her eyes fixed on the breathtaking view, her heart filled with a deep sigh. It was her first time witnessing such natural beauty, and she felt almost greedy in her desire to commit it to memory forever.

Shentu Rui joined her, his gaze following the river downstream towards the town. “We will be crossing the river at Gaolin later. By evening, we will have arrived in Jixian, and once we have passed through the city, we will officially be outside the borders of the six capital prefectures of Jingji.”

Lan Dan, who didn’t understand much and just knew that they were passing through this place on their journey northward, nodded in confusion.

The proprietor brought a plate of freshly fried small fish, and as Shentu Rui was a regular customer, he chatted freely with him, replying to his casual question about business with a smile.

The proprietor’s response was tinged with a hint of concern. “Business is still doing well, but as you can see,” he gestured towards the stone dam on the riverbank, “we can no longer see the watermark from previous years. The water level rose too high and flooded the area. It’s been an unusually warm year, and they say the weather up north is even more unpredictable – the ice and snow are melting quickly, and the spring flood is coming early. With this rising trend, I fear that the embankment won’t hold up much longer.”

Shentu Rui leaned out of the window, his gaze fixed on the riverbank below. After a moment of careful observation, he turned to the proprietor with a serious expression and asked, “Have you reported this to the officials?”

The proprietor clicked his tongue in frustration and replied, “I’ve spoken with the magistrate a few times, but nothing has been done about it.”

Shentu Rui nodded, his face betraying his displeasure. The proprietor quickly made his exit, leaving the two alone with their thoughts. Lan Dan watched Shentu Rui’s expression closely as she slowly nibbled on her fish. She knew better than to disturb him in moments like this. Suddenly, Shentu Rui snapped his fingers and summoned his personal guard. He handed the guard his waist badge and muttered a few words under his breath. The guard saluted and promptly left the room.

“You, go hurry the proprietor for the fish. We won’t be able to eat in peace when the magistrate comes,” Shentu Rui ordered. There was no one else in the room, so the order must have been meant for her.