36

CHAPTER 36 Leave no desire unfulfilled

<Previous Chapter<Table of Contents>Next Chapter>

Lan Dan left Taici Palace through the backdoor. The back garden of Taici Palace was densely packed with leaves. It was noon, and the intense spring sunshine shone down. The thick greenery around made it difficult to breathe.

Lan Dan went out of Taici Palace along the courtyard wall, knowing that Shentu Rui would come to find her with the guidance of the Empress Dowager. She deliberately turned into a secluded alley and walked aimlessly along the way. She did not want to see him now or hear him speak. He would have ten thousand reasons, and he would explain them to her sincerely. Even if what he said was true, it did not matter. She had been evading for too long, and it was time to face everything herself.

It was difficult, and also hopeless. Fortunately, she had an example to follow.

With these thoughts, Lan Dan let out a helpless and indifferent laugh. Yes, everyone around her was a good role model— Shentu Cheng, who had hidden his identity as a hostage for many years and made careful plans; Shentu Rui, who had prepared to strike while the iron was hot and ruthlessly killed his enemies; Xiao Lan Huang, who was always one step ahead in her calculations and battles. If she were to give up now and let others control her fate, wouldn’t it be as if she had died for nothing?

“Miss Fu Zhu.” A eunuch suddenly appeared out of nowhere and startled Lan Dan. “Her Excellence has invited you to the palace for a meeting.”

Lan Dan gathered her wits and looked around the deserted palace alley. The only way someone could have found her here was if they had followed her all the way from Taici Palace. “Lead the way,” she commanded haughtily, curious about what Lan Huang wanted to say to her.

Lan Huang no longer lived in her previous palace, possibly due to guilt or shame. She had a taste for luxury, and her current residence in the Kunyi Palace was decorated with gold and jade, even more magnificent and expensive than her mother’s bedroom back then. Led by a eunuch, Lan Dan entered and was dazzled by the luxurious decorations and excess. Altough it was well arranged, it still appeared somewhat vulgar. The palace maids and eunuchs who served her were plentiful. She was brought to a pearl curtain, where she could vaguely see Lan Huang reclining on the phoenix bed, with two gorgeously dressed palace women standing in front of her, presumably her close confidants, Zi Yuan and Zi Dai.

Lan Dan had no intention to salute Lan Huang. She knew she had to maintain a proper attitude and at least appear calm, but her hatred towards Lan Huang was so intense that she couldn’t even pretend to be composed and just let her emotions run wild.

“All of you, leave,” ordered Zi Dai coldly, and the palace maids and eunuchs standing on both sides of them withdrew one after another and closed the palace door.

The sleeping chamber suddenly became quiet, with the sound of the self-rotating fan being so clear that it was audible even when there was no wind blowing, and only the green smoke from the incense burner on the table was being fanned around.

“I heard…” Lan Huang lazily spoke, “the Prince of Yan refused to bestow the title of a Side Consort on you.”

Lan Dan was taken aback. When Shentu Rui said those words, there were only three people present in the side hall of Taici Palace: Lan Dan, the Empress Dowager, and Shentu Rui. How did the news spread so quickly to Lan Huang? Lan Huang’s power and influence were far beyond her imagination.

“But he promised to confer a title on Zi Fu.” Lan Huang sat up straight, her head ornament swaying with the movement. “It’s not because he likes Zi Fu so much, but it’s because of me.” She smiled, with a complex meaning that was not purely self-satisfied, but also tinged with sarcasm. “You heard our conversation on the lilac forest that day, didn’t you?”