11. Priorities

-Micah-

-Micah-

I was fully dressed – in awful clothes – and sitting at Adrian's dinner table. The dark-skin vampire, Wendell, was sitting at the opposite end of the table, staring at me intensely, without batting an eye. Adrian was wrapping his hand in bandages at the kitchen aisle, giving us both concerned looks.

I was getting bored. Wendell hadn't spoken anything since Adrian sat me down at the table. I wasn't sure what we were doing, but it wasn't any fun. When I tried to look away from Wendell, he let out a weird, disapproving sound.

I rolled my eyes and sighed in boredom.

"What do you want from us, demon?" Wendell spat.

"What do I want from you?" I said in disbelief. "You kidnapped me!"

"You could kill us," Wendell said suspiciously.

"If I kill him," I said and nodded at Adrian, "I will die too."

"So you know how the collar works?" Wendell said and squinted his eyes more, like I had just said something alarming. "How?"

"He told me how it works," I spoke slowly, like he was a child. "And I have working ears."

He squinted his eyes even more, almost closing them. "You could kill me."

I really wanted to tell him that I was still considering it, but I believed that it would just get me into trouble with him. For once in my life, I was careful what I said or did.

I had to, because there was something I wanted. It was something really important to me, so I focused really hard so I wouldn't offend them. There was a place where I had to go, and I had to convince Adrian that he could trust me. I would die soon if he didn't take me there.

So I had to keep them satisfied.

"I haven't killed anyone before," I said. "I've wanted to, but I guess I'm not like that."

"Demons are nothing but killers," Wendell accused.

"They say the same about vampires," I noted.

Wendell didn't look satisfied with my answer, so I took a deep breath and decided to tell them the truth. "I have no place to go, so I might as well be your prisoner. It's nice to have a roof over my head."

"So you are a runaway?" Adrian spoke suddenly, and I nodded to him.

"My dad sold me to another demon, who I hate," I explained. "I had no other option but to leave."

"Typical demons," Wendell snorted, but I could almost hear a hint of empathy in his voice.

"Is it true that the collar hides me? They can't search for me by any magical way?" I asked, and touched the golden necklace.