Chapter Seven

Blurred vision prevented Akaashi from seeing properly for the first few moments of his regained consciousness, all he could piece together was the beeping and people talking on the other side of the wooden door that separated him from the hallway. The bandage clinging to his arm, with splotches of blood on some spots, scratched against his untouched skin as he stirred awake. Familiar voices faintly spoke as his eyes adjusted to he hospital room he was laying in. 

"Akaashi..." A breathy voice spoke, "He's awake, both of you shut up." Kenma ordered as Bokuto and Kuroo silenced as soon as they looked over, Kenma rushing to his side as Kuroo placed a soft hand on his blanket-covered leg. Bokuto stood back, his arms crossed over his chest as he glanced over at Akaashi with fearful eyes. Akaashi hummed, attempting to sit up as he felt a warm arm wrap around his waist to help him. 

His eyes scanned over the three boys before they landed on his arm that began to sting under its bandages. He winced when he moved it a bit, sighing as he tried to remember the events that had happened, "So, that wasn't a horrific dream..." Kenma smiled hesitantly, his arm releasing Akaashi's waist as it rested on the bar of the hospital bed. His iconic blanket, along with his book and phone relaxed in the chair by the door.

"No, it wasn't." Kenma followed Akaashi's glazed over eyes as they landed on Bokuto, his glued to the hard floor beneath his feet. He felt a lump in his throat, tracing the faint bloodstains scattered on his shirt and skin that were previously attempted to be washed out. Kenma dropped his eyes, sighing a bit when he spoke again, "I'm sorry you had to find out this way." Akaashi quickly looked at Kenma as Bokuto lowered his head further to hide his face.

"That's why you were familiar." Akaashi whispered as Kenma slowly nodded, lowering his head as his grip on the bar tightened. The world around him began spinning at a million miles per hour, his heart racing as he covered his face with the hand of the uninjured arm. "I can't even begin to wrap my head around this." 

"We don't expect you to, Keiji, but let's not focus on that right now. How are you feeling, do you need anything?" Kuroo softly spoke, but his attention was brought to Bokuto walking out of the room in one swift motion, the door falling shut delicately behind him. Kenma slowly followed out the door behind him to catch up to him before he got too far away, as Kuroo looked down. Silence fell over the two before he decided to speak up again, "Look, Keiji-."

"Please, Kuroo..." A tear couldn't help but fall down Akaashi's cheek, Kuroo taking a slow step forward as he placed a gentle hand on Akaashi's arm, pulling it down to his lap. His teary eyes softened when he looked at Kuroo, those glossy eyes reflecting in his own. "What is even happening?" Akaashi let a sudden, breathless laugh pass through his lips as Kuroo managed to mimic it. 

"I'm not sure." Kuroo leaned forward, opening his arms to let Akaashi fall against him, the tears he previously held back streaming down his face. "It's okay, you're okay." He whispered as Akaashi's free hand clutched onto Kuroo's shirt tightly, as if he'd disappear if he let go. Kuroo allowed his hand to drop to his back, rubbing it gently as he let the man melt against him.

The days grew darker around Akaashi, communication not exceeding polite checkups from Kuroo and Kenma, although he didn't receive anything from Bokuto. He grabbed his phone that was sitting on the coffee table, opening his private messages with Bokuto while his fingers flew over the screen.

Akaashi: Bokuto, we need to talk, are you available right now?

Bokuto: yeah definitely, I'm free 

Akaashi: Would you mind coming over? I'll make tea while you're on your way.

Bokuto: sure I'll be there in a few minutes