Chapter Twenty-Two

It was surprisingly easy to adapt to the online classes, especially with the company of Kenma by his side during them. He took it upon himself to stay over and keep Akaashi company considering his classes were online as well. It struck him wrong at first, knowing that suddenly disappearing from the public eye would draw more attention to him via his absence. Akaashi tossed his head back as he sighed, the video lecture finally coming to an end; he made a mental note to complete the assignment later. He was on a mission towards the living room, where Kenma sat with his laptop on the cushion beside him. Akaashi encapsulated Kenma by wrapping his arms around him, leaning in and kissing his temple.

"Finished already?" Kenma asked, turning his phone off and looking at Akaashi with a loving smile.

"Kind of, I'll do the homework later, but I want to spend time with you." Akaashi's needs caught Kenma off guard a little, but he gladly stood up and walked over to Akaashi, pulling him into a hug.

"Someone's clingy today," Kenma noted, which made Akaashi laugh, burying his face in the crook of Kenma's neck. Those beautiful blonde strands tickled his face, but he refused to move, "Do you want to go to the lake? It isn't technically in public, so your parents couldn't get upset." Akaashi pulled away with a smile, his arms softly resting around Kenma still.

"You just want me to read to you, don't you?" Kenma shrugged, walking towards the bedroom, which Akaashi trailed behind.

"Maybe, maybe not, the world will never know," He trotted over to the large bookshelf on the opposing wall of Akaashi's bed, admiring the- what seemed like, hundreds of books stacked beside each other neatly. Akaashi linked his arms around Kenma's waist, resting his head on his shoulder as he watched his lover's curious eyes, "You have so many to choose from."

Akaashi chuckled, "Pick whichever is appealing, I've already read these but I'll read it again for you." He kissed the side of Kenma's head, allowing himself to be drenched in the smaller's warmth. Kenma reached forward, meticulously grabbing a mysterious book from the shelf and looking at it.

"How about 'A Lost Love', it sounds nice." Akaashi pulled away, giving Kenma an uneasy glare and a tilted head as he spun around.

"What part of that title makes it sound 'nice'?" Kenma smiled, nudging him with the book as he takes it, heading for the front door with Kenma behind him.

"You never know, titles are deceiving sometimes."

Their conversation seemed endless until the ten minute walk to the lake came to a stop once they arrived. Akaashi was hesitant, but he walked towards the edge of the dock with Kenma behind him. He could hear the unsettling breaths make their way from Akaashi's mouth as noticed his eyes were glued to the wooden planks beneath them. Blood stains trailed from the start, but formed a large shape right beneath his feet where he once laid. He jolted when Kenma placed a hand gently on his upper arm, causing him to quickly look at him.

"We can find another spot if being here is too much for you." He shook his head in response, his eyes shutting as he slowly sat down, making sure to avoid the stained wood. Kenma shifted when Akaashi patted his lap, hopping into it like usual.

The unfamiliar words flew a mile a second from Akaashi's mouth, Kenma barely able to keep up. It had only been fifteen minutes into it before Kenma realized something was wrong. He felt Akaashi's breath become uneasy the longer he continued reading, which made the occasional pauses to become more noticeable. Kenma found it hard to be comfortable when he knew something was wrong. He knew what it was, but he knew Akaashi wouldn't give in to leave. Akaashi's too mentally strong for his own good.

Kenma hopped off his lap and switched back, causing Akaashi to pause, but his eyes were glued to the book's words. His lips quivered like he was trying to continue, but something was blocking him. He hadn't returned to this spot since the incident, which made him more uneasy than he'd realize it would. Akaashi would never admit how he feels, he's always been like that.