Chapter One : Fiendish Sheild

Megumi hadn't meant to stay out so late, he should know better than that but maybe it's just a genetic thing he can't control. Being reckless and self destructive, just like everyone else in his family. He stumbles through the front door, prepared to hear some backlash from his foster parents.

     His father, Toji, isn't dead. He's just a criminal whose kids got caught by child services. Megumi and his sister had to deal with one foster home after the next. His sister is already off in community college, she wants to become an educator for children. She's always had a soft spot for them because of all the homes they've been in unlike Megumi who finds he isn't too fond of them because of their experiences.

Still, his sister has always been a gentle soul. He loves that about her, talks to her practically everyday.

The kitchen light is already on and he knows his foster parents probably have something to say. Maybe they're finally going to kick him out. He most likely still reeks of alcohol, weed, and sex. Not that he's a smoker, the other people at the party were and the car he was in was hotboxed much to his dismay.

"Alright, go ahead, let me hear it." Megumi huffs, not moving from the doorway. There's some clinking in the kitchen but otherwise, there isn't a response. Megumi's eyebrows furrow, his mind slightly dizzy. He considered just staying at Satoru's for the night, that guy might be slightly obnoxious but he doesn't make Megumi feel uncomfortable. They can have sex and not have the awkwardness after. It's why this beneficial relationship works well. Let off steam, use each other, and depend on each other like friends do.

Well, typically people don't have frequent sex with someone who is only a friend but Megumi doesn't want to think too much on that. It feels good, that's all he cares about.

"Fine, fine, give me the silent treatment. I fucked up again, right?" Megumi scoffs, shaking his head. He's stunned by their immaturity when they are the ones who are supposed to be the adults. The silent treatment is just ridiculous and maybe it's pissing him off more because he's intoxicated.

     "Megumi." A whispered voice startles him. He looks at the stairs to see his foster mother standing there, terror written all over her face. She holds out a trembling hand while the other she hold against her lips to tell him to be quiet. He comes towards her and when he's close enough, she yanks him upstairs. He nearly trips on the stairs but her grip is unyielding.

"Wait, stop, what're you doing?" Megumi yelps as she shoves him into his bedroom. She closes the door behind her.

"You have to listen to me, you have to escape. You have to run!"

Her voice fades away and now Megumi can only hear his rapid breathing as he runs through the foggy woods away from the dead hunting him. The virus has severely affected the population in such a short amount of time. Fourteen days and the city has erupted into complete chaos. The stench of blood and distressed pheromones abused Megumi's senses and he assumed it would be safer in the woods.

Unfortunately, it seems the ones who are affected with the secondary gender of alphas have become what Megumi refers to as hunters. They're faster than the normal ones, stronger and far more aggressive. Megumi would dare say they may be capable of evolving, gaining some small amount of intelligence. That thought alone is terrifying.

     He can hear the grunts and moans of the moving corpses, an unpleasant and daunting sound that sends goosebumps up his spine.

     He has seen what they've become and what they're capable of. Their skin pales before setting with grey, veins visible and the whites of their eyes have become as dark as a starless night. Teeth tearing apart flesh, eating people who sob and beg for the agony to end.