Alive Again (4)

(Third Person POV)

The ground below the stone shifted and crumbled that night, breaking apart. It woke him up, but not in the way that made him breathe again.

The mindless being reached out of the dirt and felt the grass under its cold, dead hand. Wind brushed its arm as it gripped onto the ground and pulled itself up, breaking more of the earthy prison that the sympathetic sticks had buried it under. It pushed its head out from the ground and climbed its entire body onto the soft grass. It only laid down for a minute before pushing itself up and aimlessly stumbling towards the scent of food.

This thing, this disease, it brought him back to life with an uncontrollable bloodlust and hunger for the living. How the scent of fresh flesh made him run was inhumane, yet once he found it, he stopped in his tracks.

A light blue stick was just walking away from the forest he resided in, the path went from the forest to an alleyway that led into the city.

"I really have to be more careful with thorns on those flowers, hah, nearly cut my hand open!"

She wiped the blood from her hand on a wall. Smelling it more clearly, he approached closer, his footsteps louder on the stone pavement. Startled, the stick looked behind her and started at the thing who was staring her down.

"Um.. hello?"

It breathed heavily. Hunger.

"Sir.. can I help you..?"

One step. Steady, focused.

"Sir..? Please.. do you talk?"

Two steps. He only lightly groaned in response.

"Please back up.."

His expression changing from expressionless to anger, he charged at the stick. She had tried to run as soon as he leaped, but at that point, it was too late. It grabbed her ankle and bit down hard, causing her to scream as he dragged her back into the dark.

He had finished his hunt, but the hunger was persistent.

More. More. It demanded so much more than one.

And it wasn't just him who was hungry now.