Small, Quiet Town (6)

(Third Person POV)

Playing games on his phone was his one main coping mechanism. Either that or petting an animal and hanging out with friends. Everyone else was asleep. He was envious of them. They didn't see what he saw. They didn't see the teeth, claws, extra arms, legs.

Red shivered, trying to knock those thoughts out of his head. Exiting out of a game, he looked at the search engine on his phone

"Stick News is probably down, but I can't help but wonder.."

Switched on his cellular data, he looked up the news. There were two new articles posted only an hour ago. One was from the city's news source, Stick News, the other was from CBS news. Both articles seemed panicky. Red read Stick News first.

"ZOMBIE OUTBREAK!

Officials have reported zombies flooding the streets, forest, and several websites. The virus reported weeks ago seems to not only infect devices, but sticks as well. If you are able to read this, this will be our last post for a whihhbd ksbb d ecbhdshjc dh v a cdbbchvdb zhxdjzbcdeuigetrfe78tw3evgc37baqhndch d cd cdbchdebdgeueivchv s dbe v vhakuabacvhc hdv ccdbcdhscbdsihjsjdskl;lnjsxbjdcbjdjbkkhjcbchjbghdevdhuedgywqhuhjehdehjgydeyguejgygvhdebhjd..."

'..how informative..' Red's heart beat faster.

He was scared to, however he hesitantly clicked the second article, CBS, which was from the real world, but reading this made Red more anxious than ever.

"Unknown infection kills thousands and reanimates the dead.

The U.S is on a major lockdown due to an infection that originated in Florida, and is quickly making its way up north. This infection reanimated the dead in ways never seen before. It mutates victims, giving them insect, or more specifically, spider-like qualities. Terrified citizens are fleeing to the west in hopes of finding shelter. Many states have fallen due to overpopulation of infected humans.

Infected/Fallen states: Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, S.Carolina, N.Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Virginia, Illinois, Missouri, Mississippi.

Endangered States: Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas.

Officials are sending out alerts to endangered states to lock doors, board windows, or try to escape to safe states. If you have been bit, death and infection is inevitable."

Ohio. That's where Alan is. The infected states were all around him. Red jumped out of bed.

'Alan! He's in danger! I need to wake him up. Oh god..'

Red panicked, quickly pulling up his contacts list and calling Alan's phone. He didn't pick up.

"Oh come on!"

He called again, and again, and again. Nothing. He kept trying the whole night. But Alan was dead asleep.

...

Morning rolled around at last, and Alan woke up to his phone buzzing with messages. They had all been from Red, from midnight to this morning. Over 50 missed calls.