(PART TWO) Chapter Eleven: New Beginnings

Looking out the window of the helicopter, the group flew over an unfamiliar place...

"What the hell happened here..?" Toritsuka was the first to say as he looked out into the ruins of a city.

Buildings were destroyed, toppled over, filled with sand, and overgrown in moss and vines. It looked completely uninhabitable for any human being.

"That's Tokyo." The man who had taken them in said, whilst taking a drag of his cigarette.

'Tokyo..?' Saiki's eyes widened. Though he didn't remember anything past the maze, he knew that Tokyo shouldn't be looking like this... But then he remembered what that doctor had said before he died...

"The sun has scorched our world, causing billions of lives to be lost to fire, famine, and suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable."

'Unimaginable, huh?' Saiki continued to stare out the window, watching the ruin go by until the helicopter got to an area with more desert. In that desert, was a large building surrounded by a wall, and lights. It was the only building that didn't look deserted.

"We're here!" The man yelled out amidst all the noise as the helicopter was about to land. The group watched the outside as the large door in the wall began to quickly slide open, with men in dark blue jumpsuits and masks running out, holding firearms. "Get ready to run in!"

When the group landed successfully, they ushered out the helicopter. Saiki and the others didn't understand why until they heard the distinct sounds of gunshots go off from the other men around them, shooting at something in the distance that looked to be the silhouettes of people. Saiki was going to turn around to look, but the iron grip these men in uniform had on him prevented him from doing so.

"Go, go, go!" He heard one of the other men say as they ran through the open gate and behind the wall. The boy was tossed into his friends, more specifically Kaidou, who had toppled down upon the force, and the door shut quickly behind them. Even though it was made of thick metal, tall and curved slightly over them, the group could still hear the gunshots behind the wall.

It was as if Saiki didn't even have time to blink before they were taken inside the facility, no explanation in the slightest. The place was huge. People in the same uniforms, running around, vehicles driving past them quickly, crates of materials and supplies laid out everywhere they turned. The whole place was made out of thick metal, though some parts rusted from the harsh conditions outside, it looked like a sturdy warehouse.

"Greetings." A voice rang from in front of them, and through the stress of the people around them revealed a man in a grey colored suit, nice dress shoes clicking on the metal ground. The only distinguished looking man. "You must be the new recruits. My name is Mr. Hatakeyama. We are so glad you are here."

"..." The group stayed silent, unsure of what to do or say.

"You must all be very confused. Come. Follow me."

The group followed the man out of the warehouse-like structure, deeper into the facility through a large white door. The place looked awfully familiar to the hallway in which they had exited the maze from not too long ago...

"This place is completely cut off from the dangers of the outside world. A place where we take young people like you, who had been victims of LMTLSS and give them a new chance. You should consider yourselves lucky. Not everyone gets a chance such as this."

"That still doesn't explain what we're actually doing here." Saiki spoke up amongst the group. "Do we get to leave eventually? Go back to our homes?"

"What about our memories?" Kaidou spoke. "Do we get those back?"