fifteen

hello hellooooooo! apologies for the late update. i loooooveeeeee having to give up my saturday for a mandatory cpr class (yay health care)🫡

not proofread because y'all know i don't have the time to be doing all of that😭

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: mentions of death, angst, swearing, betrayal, mommy issues if you squint
word count: 3784

"Mother!" Elias yelled as he ran towards Y/n in the hallway. The queen, who was speaking with Julia, quickly dropped everything and smiled widely as her youngest son ran to her. She had a second to brace for impact before Elias collided with her. She hunched down and wrapped her arms around him. "We're home."

"I see that, darling," Y/n said and pulled back to look at her youngest child. She brushed a strand of hair out of his face before squishing his cheeks. "Where is—"

"Mum!" the other two children shouted before running down the hallway. Y/n stood up straight and wrapped her arms around both of them as they embraced her tightly. All three of her children held onto her for dear life. They all knew she was going through a tough time since she was distant before their trip to Mertz, so they were excited to see that she was out of her office.

"How was the event?" Y/n asked and pulled back, looking between the two older children. "Please tell me that you were on your best behavior."

"The best," a voice said from down the hall. Stephen stood there with his hands behind his back as he made his way to his wife and children. "All three of them effectively stole the hearts of every single person there. In fact, both boys are insisting that they join the navy over in Mertz."

"So it was a successful event, and I know you certainly had an influence in their future plans," Y/n said and raised her eyebrows. Stephen smiled and nodded his head before leaning over and kissing Y/n softly. "Hi."

"Hi," Stephen repeated and chuckled. "May I steal your mother away for a second? I hear Agent Lewis managed to sneak some more goodies for you all from the bakery. You would have to go ask her about it."

Without another word, all three of them ran off to go find the agent in question.

Stephen offered Y/n his arm as the two of them walked further down the hallway, away from where their children were. "Collin said he got a call from Agent Jareau. She said they found another package at the gate. Is this true?"

"I'm afraid they did. They haven't told me anything else. Agent Jareau and Agent Prentiss wanted me to call parliament for an emergency meeting with all of us, including Alexandra," Y/n said and looked over her shoulder to make sure nobody was hearing their conversation. "I have a feeling that they'll inform parliament that the public exhibitions are on hold for right now while they figure out everything. My reviews will suffer for a bit longer, but it's worth it if Alexandra is safe."

"What about you? Are you okay?" Stephen asked gently. His other hand came up and rubbed against Y/n's. "You have been dealing with massive events all happening within the last few weeks, and I know I haven't been the best of help. I'm just as confused about all of this as you are."

"I'm not the one being threatened," Y/n said and patted Stephen's hand. "It's Alexandra that I'm terrified for. I don't know what kind of monster thinks this is okay. She's just a child. This is going to strike fear in her heart. I've experienced that before and it's not enjoyable."

"You are resilient," Stephen said and leaned over, kissing Y/n's cheek softly. She smiled and nodded her head. "When we're able to, I want us to take a trip away. You deserve to freely roam and not be confined to the same four walls of your office or of the palace. We can escape from all this chaos for a moment."