eleven

hello helloooooooo! it's cloudy today which puts me in the perfect mood to write. can you believe that we're already halfway done with this book? time flies when chaos is brewing!😁

not proofread because it's me. y'all knew what you were getting into when you chose my fanfics to read🤷‍♀️

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: swearing, mentions of death, cheating
word count: 3695

It was a few days after the princess's birthday celebration, and Y/n had thrown herself head first into her work. She wanted to forget everything that Tara had told her, but it seemed impossible. The slight possibility that it could be true was enough to make Y/n feel anger to a new level. She was stuck reevaluating every interaction that Salma and Emily had together.

The vicious cycle never seemed to end.

Emily sighed as she made her way up to the queen's office. She approached the door and raised her fist to knock when someone cleared their throat from behind her.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Stephen said and smiled shyly at Emily. "The queen informed Collin of a strict order before he left with the rest of your team. Apparently, my wife would like to be left alone in that wondrous world of treaties and obligations than to be out here with us for a second. Just another Tuesday."

"She probably has a lot of work to get back to. You know how persistent she is to her duties," Emily said and interlocked her hands in front of her. "Queen Margaret was notorious for being busy like this. I wouldn't doubt that Y/n picked up a thing or two from her and her unbreakable work ethic."

"Yes, I fear their need to consume themselves in their work is a generational issue. My only hope is that Alexandra can dodge it," Stephen said and chuckled softly. He let his shoulders drop as he clapped his hands once. "Is there something I can do for you?"

"I was just going to inform Y/n about my absence. I have some personal things to go deal with," Emily said and smiled forcefully. Salma Lawrence to be exact. "I won't be gone long. I should be back by dinner time."

"If I see her, I'll gladly inform her," Stephen said and nodded his head. Emily thanked him before heading to her room. Once again, she hid herself in her clothes.

Emily was growing more thankful for her decision to let her gray hair grow out. It lessened the possibility of Nostians recognizing her. The only way they could was if they really looked at her. However, Emily, with her copious spy training, knew exactly how to be a background character. She knew how to blend in.

It didn't take long for her to head into the outskirts of the city. Salma was sat outside with her sunglasses placed beautifully on her face. Emily carefully walked over to her before sitting down at the table.

"Thank the heavens," Salma said and groaned dramatically. "I'm starved from my morning's work. You have no idea the pain and suffering that I deal with to make the queen look gorgeous. I love it, but my stomach disagrees with it wholeheartedly. I get so caught up in my work that I forget that I need attention too."

"Which is why I'm a little confused about this meeting," Emily said and chuckled softly. "I would assume a world class designer wouldn't have time to go on a lunch break."

The young waitress quickly stopped in for the pair's order. She recognized Salma instantly. After all, the designer had a face people wouldn't dare to forget. Her beauty struck jealousy and admiration in the eyes of everyone she met. Emily saw the young woman try to take a good look at her, but she just kept her head down, covering her face with the brim of her baseball hat.