twelve

hellooooooo! (exhausted) friendly neighborhood author here! i hope you guys are having a better week than me 🥲

not proofread because why would it be?🙂

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: drinking, heavy swearing, angst, mental breakdowns
word count: 3339

"We all gathered around to watch him do it again, but this time since Spencer was extremely tired that he accidentally placed it wrong," JJ said and started to laugh mid-sentence. "It ended up launching backwards and hit Emily in the head again."

"Ahaha, very funny," Emily said and crossed her arms as the rest of the table laughed at the unfortunate incident. "For the record, I only got bumped on the head twice that day."

"And again the next day when Reid was aiming for JJ," Penelope said and pointed a finger over her. "I believe you called Reid a 'stupid mother--'"

"Okay," Emily said and held out her hand to stop Penelope from finishing that sentence. The queen and princess both found the story amusing and joined the team at poking fun at Emily.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

All their attention turned to the door. The three major parliament members walked in with smiles on their faces. Emily's eyes shifted to Y/n whose smile immediately hardened as they came over to her. They bowed their heads before greeting everyone at the table.

"Good morning, Your Majesty," George said and held his hand out. Y/n's eyes just looked down at it before she hummed and set her napkin on the table. His hand curled into itself. Obviously, that small gesture didn't go unnoticed by the team. "May we steal you away for a few minutes? We have something urgent to discuss with you."

"Of course," Y/n said and glanced over at the table of people all keeping their heads down, trying not make it obvious that they were listening. The only person that kept their head high had a deadly look in their eyes. Emily made sure to watch them intensely. "Well, if you'll excuse me. I'll be back momentarily."

As Emily held her head up, she locked eyes with a familiar looking man. He stared at her for a few seconds, his eyes squinting just slightly before a look of realization took over. Emily recognized him to be Stephen's godfather, Cameron, but she never had a direct conversation with him.

Not that she could remember or that it was anything important.

The men all exited the room quickly after the queen. It was silent as they made their way up to the infamous office. Y/n made her way to the seat while George shut the door of her office. She sat down as Charlie and Cameron sat down across from her. She placed her glasses on her face and looked down at the stack of papers in front of her. Most specifically, the cover letter for the hefty report that was on the top.

EVALUATIONS.

"What is this? Evaluations aren't due until next year," Y/n said and looked around at the men sitting in their seats. A throat was cleared, causing Y/n to shift just her eyes over to the grey-haired man that didn't dare sit in her presence.

"Your Majesty, I'm afraid regulations are changing," George said and smoothed his hand over his tie. "The people of Nostia voted in a poll that they'd like to be more knowledgeable about your plans and efforts. They were also concern about the evaluations only being done once every four years. They'd like them to be more sporadic, if you will."

"I see," Y/n said and ran her finger under the cover page. She desperately wanted to read the reviews already. "What other new comings have I been left out about?"