five

hello hello helloooooo! happy saturday! i apologize for the late update, life has me feeling a little overwhelmed BUT i never miss an update. i'm just fashionably late at them😉

not proofread. not excuse it's just not😅

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: arguing, forbidden love
word count: 3296

"Thank you," Emily said as she grabbed the plate from one of the new chefs. She managed to walk into the dining room without dropping any of the eggs, potatoes, bacon, or fruit in her plate or the coffee she held onto for dear life.

"Good morning, Emily," the team all said with stuffed mouths and nearly full stomachs.

"Morning! Why didn't you guys wake me?" Emily asked and sat down right next to Luke. She carefully set down her plate and drink before turning her attention to the team. "I feel like I never see you all anymore. We could have had a team breakfast."

"Ah, we wanted you to sleep in. You've been leading the charge on this, so we figured that letting you sleep would be a reward to you," Tara said and patted her hand on the table towards Emily. "Besides, Prince Stephen and Princess Alexandra were very excited to get us to try the breakfast. They were practically beaming with excitement."

"The princess made these croissants from scratch!" Penelope said and lifted up the one sitting on her plate. She tore the pastry open before taking a bite of it. She hummed deeply as her eyes shut. "I'm so used to the sad, store bought ones that to taste any made with love and tenderness makes me excited to wake up in the morning. Plus, I'll need tons of energy for sitting at a centralized computer hub all day without sunlight or glimpses of happiness."

"I promise you'll get lunch if I don't forget," Luke said and smiled over at Penelope. The blonde woman's eyes opened with clear annoyance as Luke's laughter filled the silence. "We need the energy too. Collin is taking us out to the city today."

"And who doesn't love a fulfilling breakfast," a voice said at the entrance of the dining room. Emily froze at the sound of Y/n's voice, while the other's all greeted her warmly. "Would you mind if I join you all for a quick meal?"

"Not at all, Your Majesty," JJ said and gestured for her to sit at the head of the table. "In fact, it's a pleasure. Besides Emily, I don't think any of us had thought we'd be at the breakfast table with a queen."

"I don't normally eat breakfast this late, but I had some difficulty sleeping. I would have joined you all earlier if I had the chance," Y/n said before taking a sip of her coffee. She glanced around at all the nearly empty plates and smiled. "I couldn't help but overhear that you all are enjoying the freshly baked pastries. My daughter is always happy to have someone try them. I'm sure once Stephen and Alexandra come back from their charity event, they'll have plenty of goodies and chocolate-filled treats waiting for you when you return."

"Your daughter is an excellent baker," Tara said and held up the pastry. "I had to stop myself from getting ten of these croissants. She has to give us the recipe. I can't imagine living back home without these buttery little pieces of heaven with me."

"Stephen may be an excellent cook, but he isn't so keen in the baking department. My daughter had to learn her skills from somewhere," Y/n said and smiled proudly. All of their eyebrows raised at this new information. "I'll talk to Parliament to see if I can free up a day while you're still here. You all can join me in the kitchen to learn a few things from this young queen about baking. I've gotten quite good throughout the years, far better than when I was Alexandra's age."