eighteen

hello hellooooo! i spent all day yesterday in a library with headphones on. my ears are permanently bent, thank you beat solos! 🤕

not proofread because i'm a busy body. when do you think i have the time to do that?🤨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: angst, fighting, cheating
word count: 3440

Emily tossed around from side to side. She could feel her head racing with a million different thoughts all about one particular person.

"Y/n," Emily whispered and pressed the palm of her hands deep against her eyes. She tried to rub the imagine of the woman out of her head. Obviously, Emily would have to be doing that for the rest of her life. Even then, Y/n's memory would still live in different parts of her body. Her taste in Emily's tongue. Her touch all over her body. Her scent forever engraved in Emily's nose.

It was no use.

Emily got up and grabbed her robe from the nearby chair. She immediately placed it on herself before leaving the room. Emily rubbed the sleep from her eyes as she mindlessly wandered the halls.

"Agent Prentiss," a voice called out, instantly grabbing Emily's attention. She turned and saw one of the security guards standing there with a cup of coffee in his hands. "Are you wandering, too?"

"I fear my mind never gives me a break, Baker," Emily said, only half joking. He smiled softly and nodded his head. "What are you doing up here? I thought you were on night patrol for the queen and prince?"

"Queen Y/n has requested to be left alone. Prince Stephen is asleep in a spare bedroom down the hall," Baker said and pointed at the shut door. "I was just stretching my legs. I need to find someway to ward off my sleep."

"Get some rest, Baker. I can take it from here," Emily said and patted the man's back. He thanked her quietly before walked away. Emily sighed deeply as she started her mindlessly wandering again.

Emily debated whether to go take a nightly stroll out in the large garden area or to stick with the painting filled hallways. However, her feet guided her to the kitchen. Thankfully, Baker had left behind a bit of coffee in the pot. Emily happily poured herself a cup before walking around the empty palace halls.

She was about to walk back up the stairs when a sound caught her attention. Emily turned, looking in the direction it came from. She stood still, letting her ears focus and listened carefully to hear any other noises.

There it was.

A cabinet closing.

Emily furrowed her eyebrows as she walked down the stairs and into the basement of the palace. She followed her instincts which lead her to a storage room. The same one that she had previously found Y/n and Alexandra cleaning out when Y/n took a medical leave from work.

As luck would have it, the gorgeous queen was seen surrounded by notebooks, letters, and pictures through the crack of the door. Emily could see the dark circles in her eyes all the way from where she stood. Emily had never seen Y/n this fragile, this defeated, ever.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Go away," Y/n said without looking up. Emily was about to listen when Y/n picked her head up. She saw the familiar smooth skin through the small opening. "Emily?"

"I can leave you alone—"

"No," Y/n said quickly. Her hands were shaking as they nervously played with the string bookmark on one of the notebooks. "Please come in."