seven

hello hellooooo! your friendly neighborhood author has been sick the past few days, and i still feel like ✨crap✨

not proofread because my head hurts too much🤧

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: light swearing, angst, betrayal
word count: 3534

Emily had woken up a tad bit later than expected. She rushed to shower, get dressed, and then head out the door to meet the royal family for breakfast.

Except nobody was there.

Emily furrowed her eyebrows and began wandering around the palace. She smiled politely and nodded her head at every passing worker, but she didn't want to ask them for help. Her job was to know where the queen and princess were at all times.

The older woman finally headed towards the massive staircase. She walked down the stairs to the basement. The cold air made Emily's cheeks redder than normal, and the light from the high windows only showcased millions of dust particles. She carefully walked down the hallway, passing the infamous Doctor Gregory's office—also known as the last place she saw Queen Margaret.

Finally, a cough caught Emily's attention.

She heard rustling towards the end of the hallway. She remembered the blueprint of the palace. It was a large storage room. As predicted, Emily noticed the queen dusting off some boxes and lifting a few things out of the way.

"If my memory serves me correctly, I think Doctor Gregory said no heavy lifting," Emily said and squinted her eyes at Y/n. The queen turned and smiled shyly at Emily. "I think he'd have a stroke if he found out you lifted an approximately twenty pound box, Your Majesty."

"I have help, Agent Prentiss," Y/n said and gestured her head next to her. Alexandra popped her head out and waved at Emily. "Since I am forbidden to do any queen related activities, I started to feel a little crazy. I feel very disorganized, and you know I like to be busy. This seemed like a good idea."

"I see," Emily said and nodded her head. "How's the dust back there, Your Highness?"

"Very thick," Alexandra said and coughed for dramatic effect. Emily laughed and leaned back against the wall. "Would you be joining us, Agent Prentiss?"

"I'd love to, Your Highness, but I came to inform your mother that some overseas work came in. The police department in Miami wants to talk to me about a possible serial killer on the loose," Emily said and reached into her pocket for her phone. Y/n watched Emily as she checked her notifications. The look of concentration always made Y/n smile. The way Emily's eyebrows would scrunch together and her lips would tighten seemed so perfectly fitting for her. "I'll be upstairs in my bedroom on a conference call. I should be done in about an hour depending on how competent these people are."

"Agent Prentiss, my mother and I were going to do an early lunch. Would you like to join us then?" Alexandra asked and stepped out from behind the boxes. "Dealing with stubborn people will work up your appetite."

Emily's eyes flicked over to Y/n. She could see the glimmer of hope in the queen's eyes.

Lunch couldn't hurt.

"I'll see you then," Emily said and smiled softly over at Alexandra. She didn't say anything else as she stepped out of the room. The second Alexandra turned, a rag came flying at her, hitting her directly in the face. Luckily for her, it was clean and she was able to grab it before it fell to the floor.

"What in God's name are you doing?" Y/n whisper-yelled. Alexandra threw the rag back at her mother and smiled mischievously. "I can see trouble brewing in your eyes."