sixteen

hellooooo! your favorite author's week has been even more chaotic than ever, but at least i got a haircut. a couple inches off can really relax the mind🙂

not proofread as usual🤠

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: angst, physical violence, swearing, cheating
word count: 3723

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"Here you are, Miss Lawrence," the waitress said and handed the to-go cup of coffee to Salma. She smiled and thanked her quietly before heading over to the self-serve station.

Salma always enjoyed a dash of cinnamon in her coffee. People judged her for her, others understood perfectly well the flavor component. It was a small joy of hers.

"Any word on Interpol?" the chef asked the waitress quietly. It was busy this fine Friday morning. He didn't seem to notice the best friend to the queen in the very cafe he worked in.

Unfortunately for them, Salma Lawrence picked up good listening skills from being around royals her whole adult life. She could hear a pin drop if she wanted. The quiet whisper of the chef was like a shout to her.

So, when she heard the infamous organization name, her hand tightened around the bottle of cinnamon. She could feel her blood run cold, as if a ghost just blew air across her neck. Her overprotective nature with the royals nearly had her flying over the counter and threatening the very man who asked a simple question. That's the kind of friend Salma Lawrence was—fierce, loyal, and deadly when needed.

"No, but I know she's here," the waitress said back to him. Salma could feel her heart leaping out of her chest. She closed up her coffee and left the cafe without another word.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Enter," Y/n said just loud enough for them to hear. Her eyes lifted and locked onto Emily. She stood there with a coffee in her hands and a soft smile. "Hi."

"Hi," Emily said and shut the door. She made her way to the desk and set the coffee down just out of Y/n's reach. Both of them didn't have any words to say. Silence consumed them for an unknown amount of time. Emily finally cleared her throat and leaned back against the desk. "Is there a reason you've been avoiding me for the last few days?"

Y/n sighed and took off her glasses. She tossed them onto her desk before rubbing her eyes deeply. Emily watched her carefully. She could practically see the mental wall that Y/n had put up to protect herself.

"My thoughts have been too consuming that they've gathered at my mouth and refuse to leave," Y/n said and swallowed harshly. She eyes drifted to the coffee before landing on Emily's hands. "My answer is so simple, it's almost idiotic how I haven't done anything. But I value your life, and I refuse to put you in that position again."

"What are you talking about?" Emily asked and furrowed her eyebrows. She was about to duck down and meet Y/n's eyes when the queen stood up and made her way to the window. Emily let her head fall back as a huff of air escaped her lips. "Y/n."

The queen turned back and kissed Emily deeply. The older woman was caught off guard before wrapping her arms around her. Y/n practically pinned Emily against the desk as their kiss continued. It wasn't lustful. There was too much pain and hesitation mixed with genuine love. It made Emily's head spin.

Y/n pulled away and kept her hands on Emily's face. Their foreheads leaned together as their breathing synchronized. Y/n refused to open her eyes. Her sight resided in her hands, touching every inch of Emily's face. Truthfully, she was terrified she'd open her eyes and Emily wouldn't be the one she's holding.